Router security: why your gateway to the web is at risk

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
By Nicole Kobie Posted on 26 May 2014 at 12:23

Imagine a criminal following you everywhere, noting down your PIN at the ATM and standing between you and the till at a shop. That’s analogous to what happens when hackers compromise your router – and poorly secured devices are being targeted more frequently.
Five years ago, a worm dubbed Psyb0t spread across the world, infecting more than 50 different models of domestic router. Now security experts believe that such attacks are on the rise.
In the past six months, Cisco, D-Link, TP-Link and Netgear have all been forced to issue emergency patches; attacks in Poland have enabled criminals to intercept traffic between home users and their banks; 300,000 routers have been compromised worldwide by an unknown intruder, according to security firm Team Cymru.

Full Article

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Thinking about online safety vast majority of users only focuses on the computer security, often ignoring how important is an intermediary link - which is the router. Therefore one should always keep in mind to check the firmware upgrades, patches and updates, which are issued by manufacturers ;)
It is also worth taking some time to configure router's available options, which will provide a secure WiFi connectivity and strenghten the actions of hardware firewall built-in router.

An interesting and important article. Jasper, thanks for sharing!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Yes I've been wth D-Link, Netgear, Asus,Linksys, and have used these Routers through the years and since I had so much turmoil in November 2013. I went woth TimeWarner Cable and Router in one so I feel I'm more secure with TWC because I'll have thier tech support covered on there end. It's a shame because I loved setting up my Routers but not enough to worry about them all the time.

So Patches and updates, Upgrades....I'm abit put back because I did like controling my own routers ...:(

Good article as usual @ !!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
This is the New Modem/Wireless Router my ISP uses now and I find it's great! http://www.hitron-americas.com/products/cgn3/ So security issues are not a worry for me as my ISP pushes out Firmware updates.

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Daniel, this model seems to be awesome:D
Userlevel 7
Not come across that make before...must not be sold in Europe...where are they in the pecking order when it comes to quality & reliability?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Well the home base is here: http://www.hitrontech.com/en/intro.php so there must be some using them also they are for Cable TV networks nothing to do with DSL phone line. Here is my ISP: http://www.rogers.com/web/support/internet/home-networking/185?setLanguage=en

Introduction

Hitron Technologies, Your Trusted Partner in Networking.Founded in 1986 and headquartered in Hsinchu Science Park, Taiwan's "Silicon Valley," Hitron Technologies delivers over 3 million DOCSIS products annually to MSOs worldwide which support both residential and business class applications. With a world class manufacturing campus in Suzhou, China and subsidiary in Denver (USA) and regional offices in Shenzhen (China), Amsterdam (Netherlands), our global operation spans more than 15 countries with more than 1,000 employees.

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Hi Daniel

Thanks for taking the trouble to provide the information.  Seems like they are quite a big player...but perhaps they trade under a different name in Europe.  Will have to check up on this.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the heads up. I use Amped Wireless routers and they have been excluded from all these and I'm glad!