Russian antivirus firm faked malware to harm rivals - Ex-employees

• 14 August 2015
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Beginning more than a decade ago, one of the largest security companies in the world, Moscow-based Kaspersky Lab, tried to damage rivals in the marketplace by tricking their antivirus software programs into classifying benign files as malicious, according to two former employees.

They said the secret campaign targeted Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O), AVG Technologies NV (AVG.N), Avast Software and other rivals, fooling some of them into deleting or disabling important files on their customers' PCs.

Some of the attacks were ordered by Kaspersky Lab's co-founder, Eugene Kaspersky, in part to retaliate against smaller rivals that he felt were aping his software instead of developing their own technology, they said...

Full Article

😃

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +37
Russian antivirus firm Kaspersky faked malware to harm rivals, according to former employees .
----------------------------------
Beginning more than a decade ago, one of the largest security companies in the world, Moscow-based Kaspersky Lab, tried to damage rivals in the marketplace by tricking their antivirus-software programs into classifying benign files as malicious, according to two former employees.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/russian-antivirus-firm-kaspersky-faked-malware-to-harm-rivals-according-to-former-employees-2015-8#ixzz3ipA1KV5f  
Userlevel 7
Unbelievable.

No.. let me rephrase that.  Even with as respected as they often are, I have also heard some things from Eugene that MAKE it believable. 
Userlevel 7
Well, it is a cut throat business in some areas...but even this is tooping low.

Having said that he has some way to go to emulate a certain J. McAfee...if anyone could ever...LOL
Userlevel 7
Just goes to show you how low a company will go or take steps to discredit other competition for their gain and greed.
Userlevel 7
Actually the company and it's personnel, from my dealings with them when I used to beta test KIS, have always comported themselves admirably. I suspect that it is rather one or two individuals in high places that are genuinely behind this...strong the cult of the personality is in them...as Yoda might say...:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +37
We for 3 years partnership wth kaspersky ( untill Early 2010 year ) and after it kaspersky ME, and their partners in ME region attack to me and our company .

at 2010 year i understand kaspersky use some Tricks for ads & marketing . and told to many users and network administrator relate with me . but they Disbelieve my told .

They Disbelieve my tolds becuase they think i told becuase Disputes me ( our company ) & KL company .

Amir
Durantash

Userlevel 7
From reading up about this in other forums the whole thing may not be as clear cut as some suggest in that Kaspersky may have been retaliating to the plagairising & unauthorised use of its malware research that allows it to publish detection signatures for malware.  

Now if that is the case then I can sort of understand the Kaspersky reaction, not that I agree with it (as there are other and more orthodox ways of dealing with the plagairisers) but it does have a certain ironic twist to it in that the plagairisers have been caught out.

Sort of reminds me a bit of the IObit/Malwarebytes kerfuffle over plagairised detection signatures some years ago.

Userlevel 7
Two wrongs don't make a right as the old saying goes. As you mentioned Baldrick one or two bad eggs spoil the pot.
Userlevel 7
That is true, Anthony, but I would say that if Kaspersky 'laced' some signatures and they where pilfered by others, then surely a  lot of responsibility resides with the pilferers for being 'lazy' and not checking what they were 'pilfering' was fit for purpose.

They obviously did no checking before publishing or using the 'laced' signatures as their own...almost a case of 'caveat emptor' except in this case the pilerers did not by...they apparently stole.

As I said before, I am not condoning what Kaspersky apparently did...but there is a delicious irony to it all. :D
Userlevel 7
Badge +37
kaspersky Angry :D 

Eugene Kaspersky: Free AV Vendors Are Cheats  Angry not becuase free AV . They was angry becuase can not sell products and have not good & many customers . :D Amir
Userlevel 7
Badge +37
some parts this report is false :

1- one of the largest security companies in the world ?!!! kaspersky ?! :D

2- most popular antivirus software makers, boasting 400 million users and 270,000 corporate clients. ?!!! :D

which person or organization can confirm this information ?!

3- "Kaspersky has won wide respect in the industry for its research on sophisticated Western spying programs and the Stuxnet computer worm that sabotaged Iran's nuclear program in 2009 and 2010." ????

all malwares " flame , staxnet , duqu , mini-flame , ... first discovery by other Security companies ( NO kaspersky )

for example : flame : prevx  // stuxnet : vba32 // mini-flame : Trend Micro  , ...

Amir ;)

I used to use kaspersky and when I did it slowed my pc down and kept saying I had viruses this was about a year ago so wounder if it traces back. 

Adam.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I used to use kaspersky and when I did it slowed my pc down and kept saying I had viruses this was about a year ago so wounder if it traces back. 

Adam.
It would only trace back if my accident they included the 'fake ID's" into their own definitions.  it COULD have happened.

I remember one time they had a mistake in an update that affected their vierson of a web filter.  EVERY link on a website was marked as bad with a red mark.  Poor Yahoo's site looked like it had come down with a nasty case of the Chicken Pox!

They DID get that fixed... VERY fast, within just a couple hours, but it sure was fun while it lasted!