Security Firm Bit9 Hacked, Used to Spread Malware

• 9 February 2013
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/02/security-firm-bit9-hacked-used-to-spread-malware/

This is beyond depressing for me personally,as i know a great many people who work here and have visited the building in Mass.I typically do not like to speculate,but if i were a betting man,i would say it was hackers working at the behest of the Chinese Government.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
It does go to show, that no company can be complacent.  You might be surprised that they were not fully protected themselves, but really, is any company really?  There is almost always the likelihood that at least one computer somewhere might be missed.  While the corporate IT might overlook one, it is a good bet hackers wont.
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
I think pretty much ANY company is vulnerable to a targeted attack.There are just too many environment variables and it's all too easy to loose track of everything,especially in light of a bad economy and cutbacks at a lot of companies.Quite a few companies i know of have cutback their IT departments and some...gasp..have outsourced their IT to certain questionable overseas entities in order to save money.In a lot of companies it's a matter of acceptable risk being weighed and saving  a few bucks to keep the shareholders happy.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
.........In a lot of companies it's a matter of acceptable risk being weighed and saving  a few bucks to keep the shareholders happy.
That is unfortunately all too true.  And really, for a lot of companies, there should be no such thing as "acceptable risk".  There is just too much to lose if you do get hit.  Not just in terms of the instant damages, but in terms of reputation.  Customers are hard to get, but easy to lose.