Security Threats: Unlicensed Software

• 8 July 2014
  • 1 reply
  • 1 view

Userlevel 7
By Marissa Tejada | Jul 7, 2014
 Topic: Security & Resiliency: Compliance and Security HealthUnlicensed software is one of the top security threats that IT professionals must consider when it comes to what is running on their company computers. According to a new survey, a significant portion of software being uploaded on personal devices is not properly licensed, which opens up the playing field for cyber criminals to act and puts corporate data at risk.

What's in a Download?
A new survey on the subject conducted by BSA interviewed both business and consumer PC users. The results, featured in eWEEK, found that almost 65 percent of computer users feel hacking and malware is their top concern, while almost 60 percent fear the loss of data. People understand that using such software invites intrusions by hackers and can lead to a loss of data; but as it turns out, more than 40 percent of software downloaded onto computers in 2013 was not licensed. The survey found that unlicensed software was worth more than $62 billion globally.

Read the full article

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I know I have posted before about scammers and phone calls etc. but this article sheds a bit of light on the method and the profits. I personally will never phone a business up which offers on-line support unless it is one I know I can trust totally and is known to me.

July 29th, 2014, 15:18 GMT · By Ionut Ilascu

"Tech support scams are very profitable, as demonstrated by a recent operation, run from Florida, USA, that managed to sell at least $230,000 / €171,000 worth of unlicensed Malwarebytes software.
The scammers would find various ways to drive users to call their fake tech support service and convince them to buy computer unlicensed security products, at a higher price than the original software.

This particular fraudulent operation caught the attention of Malwarebytes security researcher Jerome Segura, who started to gather information about the company perpetrating the scam and how it operated."

Full Article