Smash up your kid's Bluetooth-connected Cayla 'surveillance' doll, Germany urges parents

• 18 February 2017
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

Or switch it off, bin it, bury it, whatever's necessary

17 Feb 2017 at 19:45, Thomas Claburn

Germany's Federal Network Agency, or Bundesnetzagentur, has banned Genesis Toys' Cayla doll as an illegal surveillance device.

"Items that conceal cameras or microphones and that are capable of transmitting a signal, and therefore can transmit data without detection, compromise people's privacy," said agency president Jochen Homann in a statement. "This applies in particular to children's toys. The Cayla doll has been banned in Germany."

Full Article

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Yup, heard about this on the news and am wondering as to what possessed the company involved to produce and sell a toy for young children (i) with such features, i.e., connectible to the Internet & (ii) if they do go with (i) then at least make sure that the use of the INternet is as safe as possible.

this is a complete nightmare that I really hope does not materialise.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
Yup, heard about this on the news and am wondering as to what possessed the company involved to produce and sell a toy for young children (i) with such features, i.e., connectible to the Internet & (ii) if they do go with (i) then at least make sure that the use of the INternet is as safe as possible.

this is a complete nightmare that I really hope does not materialise.
Toys like this have been around for a while but you would have that they would have learnt lessons by now but obviously they haven't and I do not expect they will unless they are forced to change.