Did You Know?

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
nic

SnapChat - a lesson in security for startups

Snapchat hack - a lesson almost learnt@Grayson  wrote a nice article about how security is often a distant consideration for startups who are strapped for resources:

"It remains true that most start-up companies have a modest start. They are understaffed and with small budgets, but have a really great idea. Their main focus is to use the limited staff and resources available to do everything possible to make their dream a reality. Unfortunately, this most often means that proper security testing of their application falls to the side as a non-critical task. This is a serious problem, as most app vulnerabilities are best addressed at the development stage. Once an app is in operation, it becomes very difficult to mitigate lack of appropriate security measures, as we've just learnt from Snapchat."

Turns out those of us who are uncomfortable when a mobile app requests broad permissions are correct to be concerned.

Read the rest here.

Please use plain text.
DavidP1970
Kudos: 1,617

Re: SnapChat - a lesson in security for startups

Very good article, thanks for posting!

New to the Community? Register now and start posting!

Helpful Webroot Links:

Download (PC)   Download (Best Buy Subscription)   Submit Trouble Ticket   Account Console   User Guides   

"If you don't learn something new every day, you need to pay more attention. I often get my daily learning here so grab a chair and stay a while!"
WSA-Complete (Beta Tester), Toshiba Satellite L305, Intel Pentium Dual CPU at 1.87 GHz, 3 GB RAM With Windows 7 (x86) (Yes its old.. but it still usually works! : )
Please use plain text.
TripleHelix
Topics: 401
Kudos: 3,246
Ideas: 5

Thanks Nic for posting! Great wright up Grayson!

Thanks,

Daniel :smileywink:

coollogo_com-133794099.gif

asapvip.png   SigSVIP.png    Sr.Expert Advisor Jan 23 2014.png

Webroot® SecureAnywhere™ Internet Security Complete 2014 Beta Tester v8.0.4.70 on my main system Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit & on Win XP 32bit, Win Vista 32bit, Win 7 32bit, Win 8.1 Pro 32bit & 64bit all on VM's. 

MVP.gif.pngMicrosoft® MVP Consumer Security 2012/15

New to the Community? Register now and start posting!

Please use plain text.
Security Intelligence Expert
Grayson

Thanks for posting a link to this article, Nic, I really appreciate it :smileyhappy:

I will make sure to swing by on Monday to more formally introduce myself.

Welcome to Weboot!

Grayson Milbourne
Director, Security Intelligence
Please use plain text.
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
nic

Grayson wrote:

Thanks for posting a link to this article, Nic, I really appreciate it :smileyhappy:

I will make sure to swing by on Monday to more formally introduce myself.

Welcome to Weboot!

Looking forward to meeting you in person!

Please use plain text.