SnapChat - a lesson in security for startups

• 31 January 2014
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 6752 replies
http://media.scmagazineuk.com/images/2014/01/31/grayson_photo_small_2_543893.jpg?format.jpg&zoom=1&quality=70&anchor=middlecenter&width=320&mode=pad@  wrote a nice article about how security is often a distant consideration for startups who are strapped for resources:

"It remains true that most start-up companies have a modest start. They are understaffed and with small budgets, but have a really great idea. Their main focus is to use the limited staff and resources available to do everything possible to make their dream a reality. Unfortunately, this most often means that proper security testing of their application falls to the side as a non-critical task. This is a serious problem, as most app vulnerabilities are best addressed at the development stage. Once an app is in operation, it becomes very difficult to mitigate lack of appropriate security measures, as we've just learnt from Snapchat."

Turns out those of us who are uncomfortable when a mobile app requests broad permissions are correct to be concerned.

Read the rest here.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Very good article, thanks for posting!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks Nic for posting! Great wright up Grayson!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 4
Thanks for posting a link to this article, Nic, I really appreciate it :)

I will make sure to swing by on Monday to more formally introduce myself.

Welcome to Weboot!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Thanks for posting a link to this article, Nic, I really appreciate it :)

I will make sure to swing by on Monday to more formally introduce myself.

Welcome to Weboot!
Looking forward to meeting you in person!