Something’s phishy: How to detect phishing attempts

• 26 June 2017
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
June 26, 2017 by Wendy Zamora

Dear you,
 It appears you need to update your information. Click here to tell us all your secrets.
 No really, it’s totally safe. We’re not going to steal your identity, we swear.

If only phishing attempts were that obvious.

Instead, these days it’s hard to tell a phish apart from a foul, if you catch my drift. Modern-day phishing campaigns use stealthy techniques to target folks online and trick them into believing their messages are legit. Yet for all its sophistication, phishing relies on one of the basest of human foibles: trust. Detecting a phish, in its various forms, then requires you to hone a healthy level of skepticism when receiving any kind of digital communication, be it email, text, or even social media message. In order to understand how we got here, let’s go back to the first instance of phishing.

Full Article.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
I just don't understand why people just don't wake up to the simple rules...(i) if you don't know the person or organisation that an email is from and/or you are not expecting it...then at the very least treat it with suspicion and better still...delete it.

If it was importasnt the sender will resend it...something that a phisher is unlikley to do.