Spam emerges at the main tool to target Internet users

• 16 May 2016
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
We have not heard so much of spam recently, but here it is again returning like a bad egg.

May 16, 2016  By Hemant Saxena

New findings from Kaspersky Labs signal some worrying facts. The report suggests Spam has emerged as the favorite tool for fraudsters to target Internet users. It also reports the mails with malicious attachments has increased significantly in the recent years.

http://news.thewindowsclubco.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/report-600x264.png
The change in target from web browsers to mails can primarily be attributed to enhanced security in browsers. Browser developers now implement security and anti-phishing protection tools. The additional layer of security makes it harder for cybercriminals to propagate their malware through infected web pages.

Full Article

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Indeed, Jasper...spam...the blight of many but still there and despite many ISPs trying to deal with it at source, i.e., on their servers before it reaches the customer, the miscreants still manage to get some of their trash through. :( 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yeah I get allot of that! http://www.buddy-icons.info/img/smile/1715.gif

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
90% are from here and been reporting them to many Spam/Phish reporting sites. For now I have set my Junk Email Filter to catch mm-bounce in Outlook 2016. :@

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
And another:

Userlevel 7
Am wondering as to what it is that makes you such a 'hotspot' for spam? We used to get a lot here until our ISP started filtering them out and they have proved quite effective...but we still get one or two through a week...in little bursts...which are caught by the anti spam app that is installed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
My ISP uses Yahoo mail and that's the only reason I can see so the Bots are smart. :@

Userlevel 7
Well, I am no fan of Yahoo mail (as I am sure you are not) having tried it many moons ago...my ISP used to use Google Mail but ditched it for an in house solution...which has proved to be a good move.