Spam in Canada goes "strictly opt-in" in one week - with only THREE YEARS to comply

• 24 June 2014
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Well this interesting, opting in if you want to receive spam. It does sound like a scam but apparently not, it will become legally binding that you will have had to give your consent to a company to send you spam before they can.
Now I wonder how that is going to be implemented.

by Paul Ducklin on June 24, 2014

"Canada is indeed finally switching over to opt-in spam laws, as we wrote about in upbeat hope back at the end of 2010, and again with mild dismay last year.
It's been a long, long, long time coming, but Canada really does go "strictly opt-in" on this year's Canada Day, 01 July 2014.
Eleven years after Australia led the way, Canada will finally require that consent in respect of spam actually means consent in some meaningful way, so that:
  • You can spam me only if I give you permission to do so first.
  • You have to identify yourself, and the company on whose behalf you are sending your spam.
  • You have to give me reliable way to withdraw my consent (i.e. to unsubscribe)."
Full Article

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Funny, I was just hearing complaints about this in a chatroom I hang out in.  A sysadmin from Canada was telling us about all the changes he has to make to their email marketing system to be in complaince with the new rules.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Even our Microsoft MVP Leads sent us a Web Page and check all and submit to continue to get info from Microsoft and it's other Channels so I thought that was interesting!

Daniel