Steam Account Phishers Caught Squatting

• 2 July 2014
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Here is a great example of something known as typosquatting. It is not something which really gets mentioned very often here but hopefully this small article will raise awareness to it.

July 1, 2014   |   By Jovi Umawing 

"Steam’s Summer Sale officially concluded Sunday. This, however, did not deter scammers from continuing to target users with accounts on Valve’s popular gaming platform.
Steam users may think the screenshot below was taken from the default community page, steamcommunity.com. I would have agreed if the URL on the address bar isn’t actually sleamcummunity(dot)com."

Full Article

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I know that our sysadmin at Spiceworks used to purchase domains to avoid typosquatting and other reputation attacks, like people registering www.spiceworkssucks.com 🙂  I hear that the typosquatters make more money than you'd think from these sorts of sites.
Userlevel 7
I believe there are a few companies that intentionally register the most common mispells of the correct URL just to avoid this... 

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Great article Jasper since I'm not looking for misspelled URLs, by Phishers! Dangit I would of fell for that one! 😞