Study: 15 Million Devices Infected With Mobile Malware

• 10 September 2014
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
By Sara Peters/ Posted on 9/9/2014

Fifteen million mobile devices are infected with malware, and most of those run Android, according to a new report by Alcatel-Lucent's Kindsight Security Labs.
Researchers found that "increasingly applications are spying on device owners, stealing their personal information and pirating their data minutes, causing bill shock." Mobile spyware, in particular, is on the rise. Four of the 10 top threats are spyware, including SMSTracker, which allows the attacker to remotely track and monitor all calls, SMS/MMS messages, GPS locations, and browser histories of an Android device.
Mobile infections increased by 17 percent in the first half of 2014, raising the overall infection rate to 0.65 percent.
About sixty percent of the infected devices are Android smartphones. About 40 percent are Windows PCs connecting through mobile networks. Windows Mobile, iPhones, Blackberrys, and Symbian devices combine for less than 1 percent.

DarkReading/ full article here/ http://www.darkreading.com/study-15-million-devices-infected-with-mobile-malware/d/d-id/1315477?

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Anthony,

Scary Article indeed! :S I'm just happy I have WebrootSecure Anywhere Complete Mobile Protection to help with most of these infections! 😃 Webroot tells you what applications are a risk and it blocks unknown callers and malicious callers as well.

I feel its necessary to have an AV protection on your cell device  now adays more then ever and I choose Webroot!;)

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi Anthony,

Scary Article indeed! :S I'm just happy I have WebrootSecure Anywhere Complete Mobile Protection to help with most of these infections! 😃 Webroot tells you what applications are a risk and it blocks unknown callers and malicious callers as well.

I feel its necessary to have an AV protection on your cell device  now adays more then ever and I choose Webroot!;) 
I have to agree @  Better safe than sorry, ya know?

Sent from my Blackberry / iPad 😛 Prove it!