Teamviewer Accounts Hacked

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 6752 replies
TeamViewer is a remote desktop connection software that allows users to share screens and allow remote access from anywhere in the world. In the past 24 hours, many customers have claimed their computers were maliciously accessed by hackers. Hackers are accessing the computers late at night, out of standard USA working hours, and accessing bank accounts using saved browser passwords, or installing forms of ransomware. As of 12 p.m. Wednesday, the TeamViewer website remains offline, with their Twitter being the only form of comment so far from the company.

Full article here.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Despite the Teamviewer team playing down the issue and saying that they have no technical breach there is something wrong there somewhere probably.

More here TeamViewer denies hack after PCs hijacked, PayPal accounts drained
and TeamViewer Servers Go Down as Users Complain on Reddit About Getting Hacked
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yeah it seems a bit murky still as to what exactly is going on.  Will be interesting to see the final post-mortem.
Userlevel 7
I think that the start of this was actually reported late last week...but there was no inkling at the time that the issue was as widespread or far reaching as this. :(
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I just opened my new account just yesterday. :@

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Me too Daniel,

😠
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
New article from The Register on the situation:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/01/teamviewer_mass_breach_report/
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Thanks nic. The comments on The Register article make interesting reading. I think for the time being I will cease use of TV until they sort out the problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
This is turning into quite the circus:
https://www.reddit.com/r/teamviewer/comments/4m7j4a/i_covered_one_of_the_teamviewer_news_articles_i/
Userlevel 7
INdeed it is but at least it is out in the open rather than hushed up and then it breaks when there has been some massive breach or exploit!
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
I think that the start of this was actually reported late last week...but there was no inkling at the time that the issue was as widespread or far reaching as this. :(
This could be it Baldrick from last Thursday Windows Trojan Uses TeamViewer to Turn Your PC into a Web Proxy
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Good catch - that could be related.

Another big reddit thread on the issue:
https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/4m7ay6/teamviewer_has_been_hacked_they_are_denying/
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
This article from threatpost gives some credence to TV's position that it's all down to compromised passwords. We shall see - hopefully!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That is a good roundup and the timing of the MySpace hack with unsalted password hashes is a good possibility.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
An interesting article from Arstechnica today TeamViewer users are being hacked in bulk, and we still don’t know how
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Very interesting and disturbing as well.

Great information on how to lock down Teamviewer. I Book marked that page!:D