The Best Ransomware Protection of 2017

Userlevel 7
Badge +56

Webroot Tied for number one: http://www.pcmag.com/roundup/353231/the-best-ransomware-protection

Awesome work Webroot: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2470312,00.asp

Cheers,

Daniel 😃

32 replies

Userlevel 7
Looking Good Webroot. ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
Webroot Tied for number one: http://www.pcmag.com/roundup/353231/the-best-ransomware-protection

Awesome work Webroot: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2470312,00.asp

Cheers,

Daniel :D
Excellent news and thank you for posting it Daniel even though they are telling us in here what we already know. It may go some way to repair the PR damage from 2 weeks ago as well hopefully.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:

Excellent news and thank you for posting it Daniel even though they are telling us in here what we already know. It may go some way to repair the PR damage from 2 weeks ago as well hopefully.

I don't worry about that as that was a 13 minute mistake and no one is perfect. 😞 I never seen the effects from that error.
Userlevel 7
Badge +52

https://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/landing/ransomware
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Happy to have part of the best in that realm 🙂
Userlevel 5
Glad to read this.  Once ransomeware is on your computer, its hard to get rid of it.
Userlevel 3
Aside from enjoying what is probably the most comprehensive security suite on the WWW [Wild, Wooly, Web], I like the personal contact available on Webroot.

Both through this community and online support, I feel like I am only a fast e-mali away from connecting with 'real' people who are knowledgeable and interested in preventing and solving problems. 

As I stated in a prior post, the honest and rapid attention Webroot gave to fixing the recent glitch actually gave me more confidence in the system.

It is good to be aboard!

His Madness
Hi

I already have webroot do I need to do anything else please.

Regards
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi

I already have webroot do I need to do anything else please.

Regards
Yes there is! Practice safe surfing habits and don't open attachments from people you don't know. Webroot SecureAnywhere will protect you very well with the above safe habits being used!

Cheers,

Daniel 😉
Badge +8
Thank you so much Daniel. I depend on your constant vigilance and know my PC is safe with you and others always in the forefront proctecting all Webroot subcribers. It took a scare such as WannaCry to get my thoughts back to my antivirus software and the volunteers that I used to rely on so heavily. My absence was a personal one and I realized that I truly missed the knowledge base and the 24/7 dedication of all Webroot community members.

I appreciate your vast amount of software and hardware information and could not imagine a life without that.

Yours truly,
Theresa
Badge +8
I am totally grateful to that techie who used a quick mind and fast fingers to get that address validated and he saved a lot of computers from infection. ANd, of course, he was soooo humble.
Userlevel 7
Badge +37
Great ❤️
Userlevel 6
Hi,
Thanks Daniel:D
I'm very pleased and reassured to hear that Webroot protect us very well against Ransomwares.
However I do not understand exactly how Webroot works and how he can restore encrypted files:@
Neil J. Rubenking wrote: 
"Webroot naturally started monitoring its behavior. I verified that the files had indeed been encrypted. Then I used Webroot's process list to manually block the program. Webroot terminated it immediately, and a scan restored the encrypted files. What fun!"
Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi,
Thanks Daniel:D
I'm very pleased and reassured to hear that Webroot protect us very well against Ransomwares.
However I do not understand exactly how Webroot works and how he can restore encrypted files:@
Neil J. Rubenking wrote: 
"Webroot naturally started monitoring its behavior. I verified that the files had indeed been encrypted. Then I used Webroot's process list to manually block the program. Webroot terminated it immediately, and a scan restored the encrypted files. What fun!"
Thanks.
See this short Video it's a bit old but it's basically the same but much better and more advanced for today's threat's!

HTH,

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 6
Hi
Thanks @ :D
Some other questions:
  • This video is about endpoint security and not home security
  • This video is amazing but I'm an average user and I do not understand everything:@ Is it possible to find a simpler explanation ?
  • I understood that with Webroot it is possible to restore encrypted files but I don't know if that are special settings that make it possible ?
Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi
Thanks @ :D
Some other questions:
  • This video is about endpoint security and not home security
  • This video is amazing but I'm an average user and I do not understand everything:@ Is it possible to find a simpler explanation ?
  • I understood that with Webroot it is possible to restore encrypted files but I don't know if that are special settings that make it possible ?
Thanks
It's the same protection on the Consumer version with no special settings. I know things are very technical but have a read about Ransomware on the Webroot Blog: https://www.webroot.com/blog/category/threat-lab/ransomware/

Here is another Video it's an hour long:

@ wrote:
This video is amazing but I'm an average user and I do not understand everything:@ Is it possible to find a simpler explanation ?
To put it simply, Webroot has three classifications for files: not only Good or Bad, but also Unknown. All files that Webroot does not "know", it automatically classes as Unknown. It treats all Unknown files as suspicious and journals all and every change they make to your system and files. (It also gives them only restricted privileges so that, for example, they are unable to steal your private data.) If and when an Unknown file is determined to be Bad, every change that it has made to your system and/or files is "rolled back", that is to say, reversed to the state in which it was before those malicious changes were made. Thus, for example, files encrypted by ransomware are decrypted.

I believe there have been rare instances where this process has not worked. A good backup procedure (ideally, imaging of disk if possible) is therefore prudent and advisable as a second line of defence in the (unlikely) event that this fails you.

As a note of reassurance, I have been running Webroot SecureAnywhere, and previously its legacy product Prevx, for almost 11 years now and, quite unlike other security products I have used, it has never yet failed me*.

*For those who are aware of a previous recent issue I had, I have discovered that the issue was rather different than what I had thought and, all things considered, I do not feel that Webroot's protection was compromised. I shall be posting about that in the future.

Userlevel 7
@ ^ :p

Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
This video is amazing but I'm an average user and I do not understand everything:@ Is it possible to find a simpler explanation ?
To put it simply, Webroot has three classifications for files: not only Good or Bad, but also Unknown. All files that Webroot does not "know", it automatically classes as Unknown. It treats all Unknown files as suspicious and journals all and every change they make to your system and files. (It also gives them only restricted privileges so that, for example, they are unable to steal your private data.) If and when an Unknown file is determined to be Bad, every change that it has made to your system and/or files is "rolled back", that is to say, reversed to the state in which it was before those malicious changes were made. Thus, for example, files encrypted by ransomware are decrypted.

I believe there have been rare instances where this process has not worked. A good backup procedure (ideally, imaging of disk if possible) is therefore prudent and advisable as a second line of defence in the (unlikely) event that this fails you.

As a note of reassurance, I have been running Webroot SecureAnywhere, and previously its legacy product Prevx, for almost 11 years now and, quite unlike other security products I have used, it has never yet failed me*.

*For those who are aware of a previous recent issue I had, I have discovered that the issue was rather different than what I had thought and, all things considered, I do not feel that Webroot's protection was compromised. I shall be posting about that in the future.

Hi @
Yes @ is right ! Your explanations are perfect and now I can say that I have fully understood how webroot works:D
A great thanks to you !
@ wrote:
   Hi @
Yes @ is right ! Your explanations are perfect and now I can say that I have fully understood how webroot works:D
A great thanks to you !
Glad to hear my explanation was clear. Thanks for the encouragement, @!!

If you find time, you may find this thread interesting where @, an ex-Webroot Escalation Engineer, starts by answering a poster's question why Webroot's scans take such a short time but goes on to talk about other aspects of Webroot's methodology, including the core Webroot approach we were talking about above.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:Glad to hear my explanation was clear. Thanks for the encouragement, @!!

If you find time, you may find this thread interesting where @, an ex-Webroot Escalation Engineer, starts by answering a poster's question why Webroot's scans take such a short time but goes on to talk about other aspects of Webroot's methodology, including the core Webroot approach we were talking about above.
Not "ex" at the time I wrote that, mind you. I'm surprised it has to use the Wayback Machine. Poor forums. 🙂
@ wrote:
Not "ex" at the time I wrote that, mind you.
I know, I know!

Good to see you on the Webroot Forums again, Kit. I wondered whether my pinging you might wake you up from the dead, so to speak. I always appreciated your inimitable way of explaining things 😃. Any contribution by you here pertaining to all things Webroot will always be welcome. (From me at least...)

@ wrote:
I'm surprised it has to use the Wayback Machine. Poor forums. :)
True.

I spent some time explaining  to @ (as did quite a few others on the Wilders Forum) how we felt it could be improved. He said he took most/much of what we said on board and was working to make those changes. When after about four months it felt as if little we recommended had been implemented, I asked him for news and he posted a progress report. Then, a year and a bit later, he left the company and, although some changes had indeed been made, the Forum still unfortunately felt somewhat difficult and cumbersome to navigate :(

Let's hope that @ and @ can bring about those changes 😃 (though, as the Forum has grown and grown in size, that might now prove a Herculean challenge!)

Userlevel 7
Chances are they've spread the social folks more thin. They had a dedicated person back when, but then they started putting more and more responsibilities on them. The whole 'Let the actual community run the community'.

Then take into account that the forums are just a Lithium system and hosted by Lithium also (webroot.lithium.com), it's limited to what the hosts provide.

Could be worse. My current workplace is dealing with a "Security Researcher" who is creating a bad example of "How Not to Do Security Research". Bad behavior *sigh*

I have cats and work and life and such, so I can't always peek, but pings poke me so, yeah. ^.^
@ wrote:
Chances are they've spread the social folks more thin. They had a dedicated person back when, but then they started putting more and more responsibilities on them. The whole 'Let the actual community run the community'.

Then take into account that the forums are just a Lithium system and hosted by Lithium also (webroot.lithium.com), it's limited to what the hosts provide.

Could be worse. My current workplace is dealing with a "Security Researcher" who is creating a bad example of "How Not to Do Security Research". Bad behavior *sigh*

I have cats and work and life and such, so I can't always peek, but pings poke me so, yeah. ^.^
All true. So true...
Userlevel 6
Hi,
By reading these explanations I learned a lot about how Webroot works and protects:D
I have another question: does Webroot Security Complete for Androïd also protect my smartphone against ransomwares with the "encrypted files roll back" ?
Thanks