The anatomy of an Android smartphone cyberattack

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 6752 replies
"You might think buying a new phone from your mobile service provider means the latest model comes with updated software, guarding against potential cyberattacks. Well, you'd be wrong.
Android phones are the most popular smartphones in the world, with more than 78 percent market share, according IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker."

@ has a nice quote as well:

"Android's distribution network also is more complex. "Google has done a lot to address the distribution of updates by removing device manufacturers' and carriers' play into the distribution of updates," said Grayson Milbourne, director of security intelligence for Webroot. "However, there are hundreds of millions of older devices still being used that have no path to update," he said."

Read the rest here.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
This is an interesting article. I'm using the Webroot browser on my new Android and just checked my version so I should be good to go until they find more vulnerabilities with Android. Seems to be a lot lately concerning our mobile devices being secure.
Thanks Nic!
Userlevel 6
It is very interesting! Three of the four in my family still use IPhones (2 IPads) but one son now has an HTC smartphone and I should probably put WSA on it asap. He is in gradschool but still loads up with music and pictures etc. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Yes I used to have an HTC phone but I did have WSA on it and I've got a new cell phone now protected of course a an IPAD but not sure how to protect it except by using chrome or the WEBROOT browser. WSA found a virus and blocked text messages from malicious callers on my HTC therefore it's worth the protection of WSA on your Sons phone ASAP. 😉