The ‘spying billboards’ that track you as you walk by

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Although I am not in any way in favour of being tracked or spied upon, we are tracked all the time by CCTV monitors, every time we use a credit card etc., this is just one thing and as for the thought of having to give an opt-out solution, I don't think anybody is going to stop at a billboard, read the small print and then contact the person responsible to sign the opt-out.

3rd May 2016  by Lisa Vaas

Anybody who walks or drives past new tracking billboards with a mobile phone in their pocket can be spied on without their knowledge or consent: a potential invasion of privacy that US Senator Charles E. Schumer wants the US Federal Trace Commission (FTC) to investigate.
Schumer, a Democrat from New York, delivered a briefing in Times Square on Sunday, electronic billboards blinking and scrolling behind him.
From his remarks:
A person’s cell phone should not become a James Bond-like personal tracking device for a corporation to gather information about consumers without their consent.
No one wants to be followed or tracked throughout their day, electronically or otherwise.

Full Article

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Completely agree with you...who the hell will take the trouble to opt out...it is akin to some other similar 'opt out' option that are clearly farcical and not designed to be used practically but just cover the 'perpetrators' from a legal perspective. So this really, really stinks as a gross invasion of 'privacy'. :(
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
This is going to make alot of mobile users very angry. This isn't is right at all to invade our privacy. I guess you would have to disable your WiFi to avoid this invasion? We shouldn't even have this happening and to even have to opt-out of anything. This shouldn't be going on at all!:@
Userlevel 7
This is just another piece in the puzzle as to how to protect our privacy and how far will the Government and or organizations go to exploit our privacy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Makes me think of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bXJ_obaiYQ
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thanks Nic! Cool video!:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It's a great movie 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I actually remember that movie Nic, I just hope things don't progress like that but I think it is heading in that direction.