Thieves Phish Moneytree Employee Tax Data

• 16 March 2016
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
16th March 2016

Payday lending firm Moneytree is the latest company to alert current and former employees that their tax data — including Social Security numbers, salary and address information — was accidentally handed over directly to scam artists.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/moneytree.png

Seattle-based Moneytree sent an email to employees on March 4 stating that “one of our team members fell victim to a phishing scam and revealed payroll information to an external source.”

“Moneytree was apparently targeted by a scam in which the scammer impersonated me and asked for an emailed copy of certain information about the Company’s payroll including Team Member names, home addresses, social security numbers, birthdates and W2 information,” Moneytree co-founder Dennis Bassford wrote to employees.

Full Article

Companies and organisations really need to wise up to these, there are a lot these being reported at present.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Another day, another phish...like it is going out of fashion. What I do not get is how people employed to handle and therefore protect user data fall so easily for what are often clearly scams.

I personally never respond directly to an email that I do not recognise the sender of and even if I do I always do simple things like hover over links that one is requested to click on and check to see what the underlying URL reveals...and often that is enough top confirm a phishing email. So simple yet so hard to get people to do. :(
Userlevel 7
This has been brought up before where a employee withing the company causes the damage. Proper training could have adverted this situation.