Think Privacy CEO launches site to name publishers who illegally detect and circumvent adblockers

• 3 May 2016
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
By Mark Wilson

Adblockers are, have been, and will continue to be a matter of some controversy. While sites rely on ad income to stay afloat, users are understandably irked by a barrage of flashy commercials and are increasingly turning to adblocking. To fight back, some sites are using various methods to detect the presence of an adblocker and then bypassing it.
This, in turn, upsets people once again, and the CEO of privacy and security consortium Think Privacy, Alexander Hanff, has come up with a solution. To fight back he has set up a website that names and shames those sites that "use illegal methods to detect that you are using an adblocker".
 In launching the Campaign Against The Illegal Detection/Circumvention Of Adblocking Tools, Hanff aims not only to shame the sites that engage in the practice, but also to raise awareness of the issue. He wants to encourage people to submit details of their experiences with sites with a view to, ultimately, taking legal action where appropriate. He says:

full article here:

1 reply

Userlevel 7
I think that this is all going a little to far, and it is incumbent on people who use ad blockers to 'tune' them so that legitimate sites that require the ads to be seen to survive are not blocked along with the more ad gratuitous sites.

I tailor my ad blocking accordingly and I think that more people should do the same...it does not take long and helps the 'little guys' out there who need our support.