This flashlight app requires: Your contacts list, identity, access to your camera...

• 11 September 2014
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

Who us, dodgy? Vast majority of mobile apps fail privacy test

By John Leyden, 11 Sep 2014  A global survey of more than 1,200 mobile apps has discovered that the vast majority (85 per cent) fail to provide basic privacy information.
The global survey faulted apps for accessing large amounts of personal information without adequately explaining how they were collecting, using and disclosing personal information. Almost one in three apps appeared to request an excessive number of permissions to access additional personal information.
 More than half (59 per cent) of the apps left users struggling to find basic privacy information. Many (43 per cent) of the apps either providing information in a too small print, or also hide the information in lengthy privacy policies that required scrolling or clicking through multiple pages.
It wasn't all bad news.

Full Article

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Crafty the developers are on these apps, they want more information that invades our privacy......and we have no choice at that point to accept or not.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@Antus67 wrote:
Crafty the developers are on these apps, they want more information that invades our privacy......and we have no choice at that point to accept or not.
Hi Webrooters!

This is sad indeed if you have a cell..I use my camera all the time and I haven't realized this was a privacy invasion!

Yes Antus67..very crafty indeed!:@
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
There is a simple solution to all these problems with the Apps and that is to just stop using them.
Other than not using the apps, is there a way to block or correct this problem? any suggested apps to use instead?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Other than not using the apps, is there a way to block or correct this problem? any suggested apps to use instead?
Looks like these guys are developing an app that gives you this control:
http://www.citeworld.com/article/2115679/mobile-byod/snoopwall-android-review.html