This reader mocked Heartbleed, posted his passwords online. Guess what happened next.

• 15 April 2014
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Here's a lesson in online security: Passwords are important. They keep your information safe. Crucially, they also prevent other people from impersonating you.

Unfortunately, one of The Switch's readers learned that the hard way. On a story explaining how the Heartbleed bug could slow down the Internet, a commenter scoffed at the "Heartbleed thingamajig," arguing that the Internet's handwringing over security was mostly overwrought:

I couldn't give a flying fig about the Heartbleed thingamajig. Two years already the thing has been running loose ... and not a word of someone crying over its damage. Say ... does anyone really know its origin? Russian crackers? Seattle high-schoolers? the NSA? Yahoo's marketing department?

The reader went on to post the two passwords he uses on a regular basis across all of his main accounts, inviting hackers to .

Full Article

There is always one isn't there!!! And please don't try this at home.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That's pretty funny - I wonder if he learned his lesson 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
If the comments on the Twitter picture were in fact his I think he may have learnt a valuable lesson.