Twitter Experiences Tsunami Of Malicious Messages

• 24 April 2014
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
http://cdn2.ubergizmo.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/twitter-malicious.jpg

It seems that Twitter, the popular online service that lets you share a message in 140 characters or less to the rest of the world, has been hit by a massive wave of malicious messages. These messages were sent by hundreds of accounts that mention about dramatic weight loss as well as offering a link to a similar site that suspiciously pedals diet pills. When one has fallen to the temptation of clicking on one of those messages, they would be on the receiving end of a warning as seen above instead.

It seems that this is the result of hundreds of Twitter accounts that have been hijacked earlier today in order to create this particular tsunami of malicious messages. The attack has apparently kicked off at approximately 2 p.m. PT, where some of the messages read “If I didn’t try this my life wouldn’t have changed.” The accompanying link would then lead one to a Women’s Health magazine spoof site that promotes a “miracle pill” that will target those who would want to shed some flab around the waist.

Full Article

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Twitter's handling of spam and malware has never been very good in my estimation.  The Spiceworks twitter account was always getting spam back when I managed it.  We also had people scraping content of our site and using it in tweets, which was hard to combat.