Two plead guilty to stealing personal information of millions

• 3 June 2016
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Database theft generated $2m in illegal profits
by: 3 Jun 2016 at 12:29, Kat Hall 

Two men have admitted to running a computer hacking and identity theft scheme which hijacked customer email accounts, stole personally identifiable information (PII) from millions of people, and generated more than $2m in illegal profits.
In a press release the US Department of Justice named Tomasz Chmielarz, 33, of Rutherford, New Jersey, and Devin James McArthur, 28, of Ellicott City, Maryland as pleading guilty to a series of fraud-related activities in connection with computers and email.
Chmielarz claims he was approached by Timothy Edward Livingston, 30, of Boca Raton, Florida, who allegedly operated a business that specialized in sending unsolicited, or “spam,” emails on behalf of its clients.

full article here:

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Well, at least they were caught and had the balls to admit to what they have been doing...but that is just a drop in the ocean. :(
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
The problem is though although they will probably be jailed the time served will not be enough to act as a deterrent, the potential profits are too huge to ignore for some people.
Userlevel 7
Perhaps...perhaps not...it all depends whether they have a good or bad experience in jail...and now that they are known to the authorities I suspect that it will be harder for them to revert to nefarious ways...or at least I hope so.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
?  Anthony - It just goes to show you that the devil is every where.   ?  yes I agree " only a drop in the ocean" 

Always,
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
from what I have heard, there is no great experience in jail  LOL  :S