UEFA's Euro 2016 app is airing football fans’ privates in public

• 1 July 2016
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Offside! Lack of encryption bares usernames, passwords and more.

BY: 1 Jul 2016 at 12:02, John Leyden 

The official UEFA Euro 2016 app is leaking football fans’ personal data, security researchers warn.
The app is transmitting user credentials - including usernames, passwords, addresses and phone numbers - over an insecure internet connection, mobile security outfit Wandera discovered.
The lack of encryption in the app, which has clocked up more than 100,000 downloads, offers a possible conduit for data leaks. Wandera warns that both the  iOS and Android versions of the app are vulnerable.
El Reg relayed the warning to UEFA’s press team with a request for comment. No word as yet but we’ll update this story as and when we hear more.
Wandera’s SmartWire Labs said it has witnessed and upsurge in enterprise smartphones accessing malicious websites – most likely linked to an increasing number of mobile ads - since the tournament started.

full article here:

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Well, while that is bad (very bad!) that was completely different than what I imagined by reading the Subject title.
Userlevel 7
You know, Corey, you took the words right out of my mouth re. that one 😉...I thin that the jourmnalist was just trying to drum up interest in the article when coming up with that subject line...:D