UK Hospitals’ Windows XP Computers Infected with Ransomware

• 16 January 2017
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Computers operated by Barts Health NHS Trust, which is one of the largest NHS trusts in the United Kingdom and owns several London hospitals, were infected with ransomware and several thousands of files were compromised.

The trust continues running Windows XP on its computers, and according to reports, there still are no plans to upgrade to a newer Windows version. It’s not clear if security solutions were running on the compromised computers or not.

In a statement posted on its website, the trust confirms the virus infection and says that it’s already working on recovering after the attack.
Full Article

3 replies

Userlevel 7
"The trust continues running Windows XP on its computers, and according to reports, there still are no plans to upgrade to a newer Windows version. It’s not clear if security solutions were running on the compromised computers or not."

That's happening here also in the USA. Some of my Doctors are still running Win XP. I have confronted them about it but still no plans to change. :@

I guess it's like a bad intersection that need a traffic light. They won't put one there until someone gets killed in an accident. What a foolish way to think. :@

Userlevel 7
I can well understand this being so in the UK where most of the hospitals that are in the position are in fact public, i.e.e, depend on government funding which, as has been made plain, is in short supply (and has been for a while). :(

But I would have thought that this was not as much of a problem in the US were I understood that hospitals are generally more progressive in this domain, and better funded? :S
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
March 5, 2017  By Pierluigi Paganini

In January, a cyber attack breached some systems at Barts NHS Trust and forced them offline. Hackers exploited a zero-day vulnerability.

In January, a cyber attack breached some systems at Barts NHS Trust and forced them offline.

Barts Health Trust runs the Royal London, St Bartholomew’s, Whipps Cross, Mile End and Newham hospitals.

The hackers used a malicious code to bypass security measured and compromise internal systems.

Shortly after the attack, Barts NHS Trust issued an initial report that confirmed its systems had been infected by ransomware, but further investigation allowed experts to discover that attackers exploited a zero-day vulnerability.

Full Article