USA TODAY MONEY 3B TUESDAY AUGUST 26, 2014 ARTICLE WITH MICHAEL MALLOY VP WEBROOT!!

• 27 August 2014
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Title of article is: Cybersecurity for business = Bring Your Own Dilemmas: Dealing with BTOD and security

Using personal devices for work opens a can of worms by Elizabeth Weise@eweiseusatoday.

The photograph is from a top view downward seeing the heads of employees and their mobile devices sitting around a round table and in the middle of the table is a logo of a large lock! I noticed out of the 14 people only one is left handed or could be ambidextrous folks like myself.

San Francisco - Once upon a time, your computer was a box under your desk, your phone was connected by a wire to the wall, and everyone went home at 5 pm and left work behind them.

"It's almost quaint to think of now," said Michael Malloy, a vice president at Webroot, a Colorado-base Internet security company.

TOday, "work is no longer a place that I go to, it's something that I do. That's become the norm for a lot of companies," said Chery Tang, a senior manager for enter prise mobility at Symantec in Mountain View, Calif.

The conundrum for companies is how to let employees use the technology they already own and love for work, while also keeping vital, corporate data and systems secure.    = Intellectual Property!!

IT's called BYOD (Bring Your Own Device), and it is "a massive phenomenon in business," said David Willis, chief of mobility researcyh with research firm Gartner.

A Webroot survey published in July found that 61% of companies had employees using personal smartphones or tablets for work-related activities.

To an employee, a phone is life, a place towork and play. To the security team at the employee's company, it's a gaping maw of danger.

"The humblest tablet or smart-phone contains the credentials or log-in informatin for the corporate network. From there, cyber-criminals can work their way into the network. It can begin in the simplest thing and can end up with costing employers millions," Malloy said.

The challenge companies face is how to enable security "in a way that doesn't freak employees out" but still gives information technology departments enough control, said Tang.

This is about the first half of the half page article in USA Today.

The last paragraph = "Mobile device management in the corporate world is going to be as common as antivirus was for PCs," Gartner's Willis said, At a certain point, you won't pass an audit if you dn't have these protections in place."

I hope you can pick up a USA Today paper or better yet the free app although I just checked my Kindle USA Today Money section for this article and didn't locate it.  This would be a nice addition to a newsletter! 

i've got 1,558 days left on my Webroot Secure Anywhere and for me this is peace of mind[:}--

Thanks Webroot - A customer for life!

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Here is the Link to the Article: http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/08/26/byod-bring-your-own-device/14393635/

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
We're pretty excited about this article getting such wide exposure.  It was in the print edition too.