User data plundering by Android and iOS apps is as rampant as you suspected

• 4 November 2015
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

Most commonly shared data for Android is e-mail addresses; for iOS, it's GPS data.

by Dan Goodin (US) - Nov 4, 2015

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2015/11/fig1-640x896.png

Apps in both Google Play and the Apple App Store frequently send users' highly personal information to third parties, often with little or no notice, according to recently published research that studied 110 apps.

The researchers analyzed 55 of the most popular apps from each market and found that a significant percentage of them regularly provided Google, Apple, and other third parties with user e-mail addresses, names, and physical locations. On average, Android apps sent potentially sensitive data to 3.1 third-party domains while the average iOS app sent it to 2.6 third-party domains. In some cases, health apps sent searches including words such as "herpes" and "interferon" to no fewer than five domains with no notification that it was happening.

Full Article

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi ? and Webrooters.

Why am I not surprised? i never trusted the GPS in either the IOS or Android. But besides all that theis article tells us to supply false data for app requests. How about a VPN? Sounds necessary to me. UGH!:@