Utah systems experiences 300k hacking attacks a day due to the presence of the NSA Data Center

• 21 February 2016
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
February 21, 2016  By Pierluigi Paganini

http://i0.wp.com/securityaffairs.co/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/The-Utah-Data-Center-NSA-US-intelligence.jpg?zoom=2&resize=613%2C459

“In 2010, my IT director was letting me know that the number of attacks we were averaging a day were between 25,000 to 80,000,” said Keith Squires, Utah Commissioner of Public Safety. “We had peaks in the past year or so that were over 300,000,000 a day.”

Hackers use botnets to scan the state’s computer systems, searching for vulnerable systems.

“Although other states were seeing increases, most were not seeing anything like we were,” Squires said. “We didn’t realize it at first, but my opinion is in that same time, Utah was getting a lot of notoriety for the NSA facility that was being built here.”

Full Article

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Well, I suppose that this is understandable although regrettable, and I suspect that if one checks out the surrounding area for other 'high value target' such as the  government security sites worldwide obe would find a similar pattern.:(