Vint Cerf wanted to make internet secure from the start, but secrecy prevented it

• 8 April 2014
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7

Tells Google Hangout buds that tech was 'classified' at the time...

By John Leyden, 7 Apr 2014  The NSA acted as a barrier to the rollout of encryption as standard from the very inception of the internet back in the mid 1970s.

Engineers had wanted to add a network encryption layer as part of the original specifications for TCP/IP. Whitfield Diffie and Martin Hellman had published a paper on public key cryptography systems, so the kernel of a technology to make the internet secure was already there.

However the algorithms that would have made the idea a practical reality had to wait until Ron Rivest, Adi Shamir and Leonard Adleman published the RSA algorithm in 1977.

Intel agencies including the NSA and GCHQ had already invented public key cryptography systems, but this work remained top secret.Meanwhile, Vint Cerf, the pioneering internet security engineer, was working on components of a classified NSA at Stanford in the mid 1970s to build a secure, classified internet.

Full Article

7 replies

Userlevel 7
The following article is a update:

Vint Cerf: 'Sometimes I'm terrified' by the IoT.

By Katherine Noyes

Vint Cerf is known as a "father of the Internet," and like any good parent, he worries about his offspring -- most recently, the IoT.
"Sometimes I'm terrified by it," he said in a news briefing Monday at the Heidelberg Laureate Forum in Germany. "It's a combination of appliances and software, and I'm always nervous about software -- software has bugs."
The Internet of Things will offer the ability to manage many of the appliances we depend on, acknowledged Cerf, who won the Turing Award in 2004. With its ability to continuously monitor such devices, it also promises new insight into our use of resources, he said.
Devices such as Google's Nest thermostat, for instance, can "help me decide how well or poorly I've chosen my lifestyle to minimize cost and my use of resources -- it can be an important tool," he said.

full article
Userlevel 7
Badge +3

When the ILOVEYOU worm struck on May 4, 2000, it thrust the reality of computer vulnerabilities into the public consciousness in a very big way.
Sure, computer worms had spread before, but some estimates pegged this particular worm as causing billions of dollars in damage. Entire government departments were crippled. The nature of its spread was unprecedented in scale.
What had once been merely a plot line for Hollywood movies had now become very, very real.      

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/vint-cerf-the-headline-i-fear-is-100000-fridges-hack-bank-of-america
Userlevel 7
It has already happened on a small scale, but yes, the time of 100,000 washing machines taking a bank 'to the cleaners' may arrive soon indeed.

Pun intended.  :)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
100,000 fridges hacked could lead to some very expensive spoilage 🙂
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
100,000 fridges hacked could lead to some very expensive spoilage :)
LOL!  I had not thought of that... I know some major retailers sell those extra service plans to go on top of and beyond the manufacturer...  they often include food spoilage in case of mechanical failure...  I wonder if they will cover hacking damage LOL!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That is a very good question. That reminds me Volvo came out and said they'd take responsibility for liability for self-driving cars when they come out of them.
Userlevel 7
Indeed, but then again I would trust Volvo above any other car manufacturer.