Walmart Hired Security Firm to Spy on Workers' Union

• 30 November 2015
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
By Catalin Cimpanu    30 Nov 2015

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/fitted/340x180/walmart-hired-security-firm-to-spy-on-workers-union.jpg

State investigation reveals that defense contractor helped Walmart spy on one of its workers' unions

Court documents show that Walmart hired the services of Lockheed Martin to spy on its workers' union, just months before a planned protest in 2012.

The data came to light following a lawsuit filed by OUR (Organization United for Respect) Walmart, one of Walmart's workers' unions, after the retail company retaliated against some of the union's leaders.

These retaliations "allegedly" took place later in June 2013, after the group tried to set up another nationwide protest. The National Labor Relations Board also conducted a hearing on the matter during January 2015.

OUR Walmart's lawsuit against Walmart concluded in October this year, and the union made the court documents available to Bloomberg's staff.

Full Article

3 replies

Userlevel 7
You can say what you want about Walmart, they are not on the up and up with its employees.Walmart may have great prices but they treat their employees badly. Walmart is scared to have a union in, so they will do anything to prevent it.
Userlevel 7
To be fair, I think most large companies are rather active these days when it comes to spying on existing unions, as well as working to discourage unions from forming.  I am aware of such practices at a former employer of mine.
Userlevel 7
The company I retired from after 30 years was union, I worked in the
office and for the first 10 years we were non union and treated like
dogs.............Finally we joined the union and working conditions,
pay, and benefits were great!!! The company tried its best to stop the
union coming into the office but it didn't work.