What you need to know about tax identity theft

• 29 March 2016
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
While this topic concentrates on the tax system, much of the information in here also applies to your normal activities on-line.

March 25, 2016 | BY Wendy Zamora

Tis the season for filing your taxes. Tis also the season for getting your identity stolen. The U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) saw a nearly 50 percent increase in identity theft complaints in 2015. Of those complaints, almost half were related to tax or wage identity theft. The IRS also reported a huge uptick in tax-related ID theft in 2015—about 2.5 times the number in 2014. All this is to say: hang tough. Identity theft is a problem that’s not going away.

As is the case with all cybersecurity, the best way to protect yourself from threats of the stolen identity variety is to make yourself aware. By knowing the basic who, what, when, where, why, and how, you’ll be far less likely to fall victim to identity theft. So let’s start from the top.

Full Article

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Excellent information here for those who file online! Thanks Jasper!:D It;s alot of common sense really for now a days to be more aware of what, where, how and who you are filing with etc...
Userlevel 7
For the last 20 years I have a auditor do my taxes now they do send the tax information via the web but on a high security protocol, never had a problem. I would not in MHO do taxes online.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Anthony, Now a days as bad as it has been the last few years I wouldn't do my taxes online either! No matter how secure my system was setup!
Userlevel 7
I think that we are spoilt in the UK as our online filing system is encrypted and seems to be well protected. But even though this is the case I always do my taxes on my system and then file them online via the HMRC portal. That way one cuts down potential exposure time to a minimum. ;)