WhatsApp blocked for more than 100 million users due to a Judge’s order

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
May 3, 2016  By Pierluigi Paganini

A Brazilian judge ordered to block access to the WhatsApp messaging service for 72 hours, it is the second time in five months.

Brazilian authorities ordered ISPs to block WhatsApp today in a dispute over access to encrypted data. The order to block the messaging service for 72 hours has been issued by a judge from the Brazilian state of Sergipe,  the ISPs are obliged to comply the order to avoiding face fines.

According to the Brazilian newspaper Folha de S.Paulo the ban would begin at 2 p.m. local time and will impact more than 100 million Brazilian users.

The Judge Marcel Montalvao was conducting a drug investigation, for this reason, he requested WhatsApp to provide the access to its data.

Full Article

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Well, I am glad that I don't live in Brazil...I don't think that the judiciary should get involved in this way and if the law allows it then...:(
Userlevel 7
One thing you have to realize the law is the law you may not agree with it or like it , but if you like in that country you have to live with it. You can protest or try to have certain laws changed according to their policies.