Windows XP Security Issues: Fact Vs. Fiction

• 12 March 2014
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Are you prepared for the end of Microsoft support for Windows XP next month?

In less than a month, Microsoft will stop supporting Windows XP, still the second most widely used PC operating system in the world. The company announced the OS's April 8 termination date years ago, but with as many as 500 million XP systems still active last month, not everyone is going to make a move in time.

XP users have vocally protested Microsoft's abandonment of such a popular product. Objections include upgrade costs, application compatibility concerns, and whether customers should be effectively forced to leave a product that they are happy with. Despite Microsoft's increased efforts, which now include daily pop-up notifications on XP systems, almost one in three computers still ran the 12-year-old OS in February, according to web-tracking firm Net Applications. More alarming for Microsoft, Windows XP's market share hasn't decreased since last year and Windows 8.1's has barely grown. Both trends imply the company's escalating messaging has fallen largely on deaf ears.

So what will happen when April 8 passes and millions of people are still running Windows XP?

Full Article

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Nice article, thanks Jasper!

Regards,

Mike
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Great article..Jasper, XP was my all time favorite. Enjoyed W98 struggled and finally got WindowsMe running good after a year, Then I rushed out and bought WindowsXP and I loved that OS but felt pushed to move forward to Vista, and W7. XP ran everything, compatible drivers, programs.user friendly, it was really difficult in my opinion to let go of such a beautiful running operating system in my opinion.

I feel that it always falls back to getting more money from consumers. Buying NewOS, Printers, Games,video graphic cards to upgrade to W7 and not to mention buying more Ram ( memory), etc. So of course people want to stay with what they know and like and what is affordable. If it's not broke why fix it is what I hear...But technology has to progress and that's a lot faster then most people can handle.

I'm sure everyone has heard this before but people resist change,especially when it comes to money.
Ok let's hear it! Bring it on...great subject to be posting...Microsoft controls.

Oh brother, I just read the whole article Jasper, yes people better get smarter and upgrade XP because consumers and business will be in trouble without patches and updates. Hardcore is right...PCs with XP will get slammed without protection.