Windows support scams: Here's how we're taking down fraud kingpins, says Microsoft

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Microsoft is fighting tech-support scammers' automation with artificial intelligence from its research labs.

http://zdnet4.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2017/06/16/01b924a7-73f9-44e4-b935-b9349d3c8078/resize/770xauto/deb702a7b82cca22b207d6f1ada9a9a6/microsoftsupportscamsdcu.jpg
                          Tech-support scammers are harnessing automation to target victims in certain states more than others.
                                                                                      Image: Microsoft Research

By Liam Tung | June 16, 2017

Faced with skyrocketing complaints about tech-support scams, Microsoft is turning to artificial intelligence to identify the masterminds behind the fraud.

Besides prettying up iPhone photos and blitzing Ms Pac-Man, Microsoft's AI is helping fight the real-world problem of tech-support scams, whose operators are increasingly using the web to automate the fraud with pop-up ads that lock browsers to a bogus but seemingly legitimate security warning.

Full Article.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That would be so awesome. I know to many that have gotten calls and one that fell for it unfortunately. 😠
Badge +8
Keep on posting the good news Jasper. I enjoy rooting for the good guys.:D
T