Yahoo 'expected to confirm massive data breach', says Recode

• 22 September 2016
  • 37 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
“Several hundred million user accounts” reportedly impacted.
Graham Cluley | September 22, 2016                                         

As Yahoo poises to sell up to Verizon, it may have some bad news to share.
Recode reports:
Yahoo is poised to confirm a massive data breach of its service, according to several sources close to the situation, hacking that has exposed several hundred million user accounts.
While sources were unspecific about the extent of the incursion, since there is the likelihood of government investigations and legal action related to the breach, they noted that it is widespread and serious.
Earlier this summer, Yahoo said it was investigating a data breach in which hackers claimed to have access to 200 million user accounts and was selling them online. "It’s as bad as that," said one source. "Worse, really."
 Full Article.

37 replies

Userlevel 7
Ouch!!! This is not good at all, where was Yahoo protection??? This will be interesting how it will impact users on their site.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
I wonder how this is going to affect their Army Of Work-At-Home Spammers!:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
September 22, 2016

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Yahoo says the personal information in 500 million accounts was stolen in a massive security breakdown. The breach disclosed Thursday, the latest setback for the beleaguered internet company, dates back to late 2014.
The stolen data includes users' names, email addresses, telephone numbers, dates of birth, hashed passwords and security questions for verifying an accountholder's identity. Yahoo is blaming the hack on a "state-sponsored actor."

Full Article

Userlevel 7
Looks like the hackers are upping the ante and trying to outdo each other as to who can get the highest number of user in a hack...the possibility of competition amongst the miscreants is not a good sign. :(
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Well this sucks as my ISP uses Yahoo mail. 😠
Userlevel 5
Hello.

Thanks for news.

i think since 2006 Symantec is supporting Yahoo and they was ( i don't know are they now? ) security partners.

so this was Yahoo fault or Symantec? or no one just Smart hackers are behind this?
Userlevel 7
A month or so ago, my wife started receiving emails from Yahoo (in her Yahoo email account) that someone was trying to access her email, wil the locations varing from all over the world. It makes sense now. I guess her email account was affected by this hack, probably sold with tons of other accounts, and they were trying to guess her password.
I have a Yahoo email account and a month or two ago I started receiving daily emails from Yahoo imploring me to change my password, but not saying why, really. I finally did. Now I know why they were so insistent. Seems like they knew then but failed to tell us. Looks like it's finally time to ditch Yahoo altogether. I do like my "My Yahoo" page though. It allows me to customize it and pick which feeds appear on it. I had used iGoogle before that, but they ditched that. Might give Netvibes a try again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
I have a Yahoo account since the year of 2000. I haven't used it in years. Maybe I should check in on it and change my password. :@
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Well this sucks as my ISP uses Yahoo mail. :@
This crap keep up we'll have to go back to the old way of communicating, but we'll need a long string to get across the pond. :D
?
Userlevel 5
the only reason that Yahoo is very popular in Iran is its Messenger, i personally creat my email accounts on Google ( gmail ) but for Chat use Yahoo Messenger ( of course till now, not anymore with this latest update )
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
This crap keep up we'll have to go back to the old way of communicating, but we'll need a long string to get across the pond. :D
?
Your're a blast @! :D
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
?
Your're a blast @! :D
Also the string needs to be tight to work properly! 😃
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
?
But how would you describe someone who is using that? If you say "They are on the can right now", most people will get a completely different assesment of the situation. 
Just received this email from Yahoo:

NOTICE OF DATA BREACH

Dear BurnDaddy,
http://f.chtah.com/i/41/488073967/1x1.gif
We are writing to inform you about a data security issue that may involve your Yahoo account information.
What Happened?
A copy of certain user account information was stolen from our systems in late 2014 by what we believe is a state-sponsored actor. We are closely coordinating with law enforcement on this matter and working diligently to protect you.

What Information Was Involved?
The stolen user account information may have included names, email addresses, telephone numbers, dates of birth, hashed passwords (the vast majority with bcrypt) and, in some cases, encrypted or unencrypted security questions and answers. Not all of these data elements may have been present for your account. The ongoing investigation suggests that stolen information did not include unprotected passwords, payment card data, or bank account information; payment card data and bank account information are not stored in the system that the investigation found to be affected.
What We Are Doing
We are taking action to protect our users:
  • We are asking potentially affected users to promptly change their passwords and adopt alternate means of account verification.
  • We invalidated unencrypted security questions and answers so they cannot be used to access an account.
  • We are recommending that all users who haven't changed their passwords since 2014 do so.
  • We continue to enhance our systems that detect and prevent unauthorized access to user accounts.
  • We are working closely with law enforcement on this matter.
Our investigation into this matter continues.
What You Can Do
We encourage you to follow these security recommendations:
  • Change your password and security questions for any other accounts on which you used the same or similar information used for your Yahoo account.
  • Review your accounts for suspicious activity.  
  • Be cautious of any unsolicited communications that ask for your personal information or refer you to a web page asking for personal information.
  • Avoid clicking on links or downloading attachments from suspicious emails.
Additionally, please consider using Yahoo Account Key, a simple authentication tool that eliminates the need to use a password altogether.
For More Information
For more information about this issue and our security resources, please visit the Yahoo Security Issue FAQs page available at https://yahoo.com/security-update.

Protecting your information is important to us and we work continuously to strengthen our defenses against the threats targeting our industry.

Sincerely,
Bob Lord
Chief Information Security Officer
Yahoo

Oh my, Lord.! 😛
Userlevel 7
Hi Parham

It is somewhat irrelevant as to what security app was supporting Yahoo, and it is pure conjecture as to it being the fault of that app. Best to avoid drawing any incorrect specific conclusions. ;)

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 7
I would, Sherry...I have never had a Yahoo account and would never have one...not even if paid to. A Google account is more than enough...:(
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
?
But how would you describe someone who is using that? If you say "They are on the can right now", most people will get a completely different assesment of the situation. 
I suspect that the sound of that contraption is somewhat 'tinny'. ;)
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I have a Yahoo account since the year of 2000. I haven't used it in years. Maybe I should check in on it and change my password. :@
Only if you promise to read each and every single one of the 500,000 spam emails you must have in it!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Only if you promise to read each and every single one of the 500,000 spam emails you must have in it!
Aw you got me there! LOLs:D
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
?
I also just realized that men would have to be very careful complimenting a lady who may be using this device.

"Nice Cans!" could cause trouble.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
?
I also just realized that men would have to be very careful complimenting a lady who may be using this device.

ROFLMHO!!!!
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
?

Only if they are doing the Can Can...;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Well Baldrick I have to change my BT details now.
Userlevel 7
Well, I am not chaninging mine until someone tell me that I have been compromised.