Yet another online horror story to make you feel even more vulnerable!

• 9 August 2012
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Whether you call it hacking, social engineering, or getting your digital life completely crushed doesn't matter. The point is that being safe online is becoming impossibly difficult these days and the more you read, the more you start to question if it's just a matter of time before you get hacked too?! Fortunately, using good internet security helps. A lot!

But this latest "breach of privacy" torturous tale isn't the result of virus or malware infecting a computer or compromising an email account. Rather, it exposes just how easy it is to lose everything if you're not careful with your accounts.

Mat Honan, Senior Writer for Wired Magazine, lost his Google account, had his Twitter compromised (ruining his online reputation), and his AppleID account breached, which led to a complete wipe of all his iPhone, iPad, and Mac data. It all happened in a flash (an hour to be exact) and the scariest thing is that he wasn't even technically "hacked". In fact, all the "hacker" needed was an email address, billing address, and the last four digits of Honan's credit card! Read the full story and you'll be shocked to see how easy it was for him to obtain them!

In light of this recent online disaster, both Apple and Amazon have taken at least some form of action regarding the matter, but how they plan to step up their security is still pretty much speculation until further notice. (Amazon did change their customer privacy policy and Apple has temporarily suspended over-the-phone password resets for AppleID)

Also, ZDNet just posted a very interesting article that about how to prevent you from getting hacked by using a new form of digital ID, which is supposedly is "extremely secure". Check the full article out here and let me know what you think about all of this!

Stay Safe!

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +23
I feel for the guy, I really do... but to have not backed up important photographs etc in so long? Baffling.
Userlevel 7
Good point Seeker. I was thinking the same thing, but my main concern is the lack of security demonstrated by both Apple and Amazon. I mean so many people are die hard fans of both and use them daily-I really hope they beef up their security A LOT in the aftermath of all this!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16
Just a quick FYI on this topic, it is important to note, that the only real 'hacking' that went on was of the social engineering sort. The electronic devices were not directly compromised, and the data loss happened because of the functions put in place by the vendors, while used maliciously, it was a functional aspect of the reporter’s account that allowed the data erasure. 

If anything this highlights the greatest tool in the 'hacker' tool box, and that is of social engineering. For those interested there are several titles that cover this topic in great detail. 

Two of which have been written by perhaps one of the most publicized 'hackers' Kevin Mitnick
The Art of Deception (ISBN: 9780471237129)
And the follow up....
The Art of Intrusion: The Real Stories Behind the Exploits of Hackers, Intruders & Deceivers (ISBN: 9780764569593)

These two books recount examples (both true, and semi-true) of some of the exploits inherent in our culture's desire to be polite, and helpful, and how that can be used to turn against us in the blink of an eye.

Userlevel 5
Password resets should not be done over the phone, and it's good to see Apple suspended this method in light of the reported incident.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I use an IOSAFE fireproof backup drive. And Pen drives, and SD cards, and soon to be an NAS.