Did You Know?

DavidP1970
Kudos: 1,653

Zuckerberg's Facebook page hacked to prove security flaw

[ Edited ]

CNN Mon August 19, 2013

"A Palestinian researcher posted a message on Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg's page last week after he says the site's security team didn't take his warnings about a security flaw seriously."

Full Article

Apparently letting Facebook know about a vulnerability was not enough to prove it, so the hole in question was tested and proven on Zuckerberg's own Facebook profile.  For a company that holds profiles and personal information for a massive number of people (myself included), I find it even more disturbing that evidently the researcher had tried other ways to warn Facebook of the vulnerability only to have the warning dismissed.

Security holes happen, and many companies have paid a dear price for them, but in this case the hacker was not trying to steal information, only to inform the company before someone less savory did.  Facebook needs to seriously question its methods and means of keeping secure, as well as how they treat reports of potential breaches. 

SleepAtDesk.gif

Shame on you Facebook, you really dropped the ball on this one.  I am just glad it was someone with an honest intent who discovered it and hope that he is the only one who has found it!

New to the Community? Register now and start posting!

Helpful Webroot Links:

Download (PC)   Download (Best Buy Subscription)   Submit Trouble Ticket   Account Console   User Guides   

"If you don't learn something new every day, you need to pay more attention. I often get my daily learning here so grab a chair and stay a while!"
WSA-Complete (Beta Tester), Toshiba Satellite L305, Intel Pentium Dual CPU at 1.87 GHz, 3 GB RAM With Windows 7 (x86) (Yes its old.. but it still usually works! : )
Please use plain text.
TripleHelix
Topics: 404
Kudos: 3,291
Ideas: 5

Re: Zuckerberg's Facebook page hacked to prove security flaw

Another good reason I'm not a facebook user. OMG.gif

Daniel

coollogo_com-133794099.gif

asapvip.png   SigSVIP.png    Sr.Expert Advisor Jan 23 2014.png

Webroot® SecureAnywhere™ Internet Security Complete 2014 Beta Tester v8.0.4.70 on my main system Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit & on Win XP 32bit, Win Vista 32bit, Win 7 32bit, Win 8.1 Pro 32bit & 64bit all on VM's. 

MVP.gif.pngMicrosoft® MVP Consumer Security 2012/15

Please use plain text.
Expert Advisor
ProTruckDriver

TripleHelix wrote:

I'll second that TH. Thanks David for posting. I showed my Wife this post but I don't think it did any good. Now she's tweeting and she want's to get a tablet soon. Tweeting / Facebook / Tablet / Happy Clicker, I think I'll be joining the Funny Farm soon. th_rolleye00181.gif

WEBROOT SecureAnywhere Complete. Beta Tester.

No Wait For Security Updates ~ It's Done In The "Cloud"

Expert Advisor

Please use plain text.
TripleHelix

ProTruckDriver wrote:

TripleHelix wrote:

I'll second that TH. Thanks David for posting. I showed my Wife this post but I don't think it did any good. Now she's tweeting and she want's to get a tablet soon. Tweeting / Facebook / Tablet / Happy Clicker, I think I'll be joining the Funny Farm soon. th_rolleye00181.gif

At least you have WSA to protect you from her happy clicking and then yelling at you about it. smiley-laughing014.gif

Daniel in the Lions Den.

Webroot® SecureAnywhere™ Internet Security Complete 2014 Beta Tester v8.0.4.70 on my main system Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit & on Win XP 32bit, Win Vista 32bit, Win 7 32bit, Win 8.1 Pro 32bit & 64bit all on VM's. 

Please use plain text.
Expert Advisor
ProTruckDriver

Yes, Yes...... Thank you Webroot!  bowdown.gif

WEBROOT SecureAnywhere Complete. Beta Tester.

No Wait For Security Updates ~ It's Done In The "Cloud"

Expert Advisor

Please use plain text.
TripleHelix

ProTruckDriver wrote:

Yes, Yes...... Thank you Webroot!  bowdown.gif

smiley-laughing024.gif

Please use plain text.