Microsoft: Security Essentials is designed to be bottom of the antivirus rankings

• 25 September 2013
  • 2 replies
  • 1 view

Userlevel 5
Microsoft has admitted Windows users should install antivirus above and beyond its own Security Essentials, describing its protection as merely a "baseline" that will "always be on the bottom" of antivirus software rankings.

Microsoft launched Security Essentials in 2009, raising complaints from antivirus rivals that such software shouldn't be bundled with Windows for competition reasons.

Full Article

Finally Microsoft is confirming what everybody already knew, that Security Essentials is not a replacement for a true Anti-virus solution.

As per the comments in this article, if Microsoft is not dedicated to Anti-virus then what about their Endpoint Protection offering for business?

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
I'm sure Microsoft Forefront customers are going to be super happy to hear this

Still, I applaud Microsoft for pushing AV firms to do better. A 0 to 100 ranking is not a good way to test antivirus. There needs to be a dynamic baseline to compare to. With Windows 8 disabling Windows Defender (MSE) if AV is installed, if someone choses a terrible antivirus they will be literally less protected than not running antivirus at all.

Also, it pushes malware developers harder and forces them to remain a moving target. They can not sit pretty with basic malware running on machines forever. Either they have to use technique to disable Defender, which makes their evil intent easier to detect, or they have to sit as low as possible and hope not to be detected for a few months. That's a significant churn rate and hurts botmasters. With the network inspection system in MSE/Win8.1 they can also push out protection against worms even before a patch is avaliable. It allows Microsoft to strike back against the most damaging malware since they are still free to bring their full abilities to bear against a strain if they chose to.

We live in interesting times, ladies and gentlemen.

(If someone you know uses Windows Defender/MSE make sure they have Microsoft SpyNet advanced membership enabled. This is a critcal feedback mechanism for Microsoft and enhances protection.)
Userlevel 3
I kinda wish they would make that article the background on anyone's screen that has those and says they are fine with it and haven't got infections ever.

Five minutes later I normally have about 30 hits off manual scans, I wish people would understand that anytime your online your vulnerable, no matter what your doing