cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager

[Discussion] - EICAR: The Most Common False Positive in the World

BlogPost_EICAR_800x400.png

Recently, @RAbrams, published a blog post on the most common false positive in the world. 

EICAR

If you haven't had a chance to read it yet, please do. It's fascinating.

Personally, I want to hear from you on this!

• Have you heard of EICAR?
  • What's your experience with it?

Let us know in the comments below! 

Community and Advocate Manager
New to the Community?
Get started with these tips.
11 REPLIES
Bronze VIP

Re: [Discussion] - EICAR: The Most Common False Positive in the World

I know of it and used it and it's a test file to me and nothing more. http://www.eicar.org/86-0-Intended-use.html

But I agree with Randy!

Daniel Bow.gif  “Truth is more of a stranger than fiction.” (Mark Twain)

EPA.giforiginal (6).png   

original.png Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security beta_tester_transparent.png

Alienware 17R5 Laptop with the new i9-8950HK Processor Overclock-able to 5.0GHz - 2 Samsung 960 Pro PCIe NVMe M.2 512GB + 1 Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD's with 32GB of G.SKILL Ripjaws RAM and NVIDIA GTX 1080 GPU Overclocked. Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 1809 x64.

Webroot Employee

Thanks Daniel,

I don't know if you folowed the link to the Virus Bulletin presentation, but I will forever be amused that I gave a 30 minute presentation about a harmless 68-byte file at an antivirus conference :-)

Yeah, it is just a test fie, but if can be used to perform a variety of informative tests. Efficacy isn't one of them, as you know.

Cheers,

Randy

Silver VIP

I have retweeted it @RAbrams.
I had heard of Eicar but never tried it until now, Webroot spotted it as well Smiley Wink

http://community.webroot.com/html/assets/SigSVIP.png  beta_tester_transparent.png

Luminary Signature.png

2016-07-18_12-11-32.png  Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security

Bronze VIP

@RAbrams wrote:

Thanks Daniel,

I don't know if you folowed the link to the Virus Bulletin presentation, but I will forever be amused that I gave a 30 minute presentation about a harmless 68-byte file at an antivirus conference :-)

Yeah, it is just a test fie, but if can be used to perform a variety of informative tests. Efficacy isn't one of them, as you know.

Cheers,

Randy

Now why would you waste your time? LOL

EPA.giforiginal (6).png   

original.png Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security beta_tester_transparent.png

Alienware 17R5 Laptop with the new i9-8950HK Processor Overclock-able to 5.0GHz - 2 Samsung 960 Pro PCIe NVMe M.2 512GB + 1 Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD's with 32GB of G.SKILL Ripjaws RAM and NVIDIA GTX 1080 GPU Overclocked. Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 1809 x64.

Webroot Employee

@TripleHelix wrote:

@RAbrams wrote:

Thanks Daniel,

Cheers,

Randy

Waste my time writing the presentation for VB? Oh my! I needed a topic to present. It gaveme another International speaking engagment under my belt, and it impressed my managers :-) I'd call it time well spent :-) 

Incidentally, one of the guys who worked on the EICAR test file was at the presentation. He even enjoyed it!

Believe it or not, that presentation was on the NATO internal network for more than a decade.

Bronze VIP

@RAbrams wrote:

@TripleHelix wrote:

@RAbrams wrote:

Thanks Daniel,

Cheers,

Randy

Waste my time writing the presentation for VB? Oh my! I needed a topic to present. It gaveme another International speaking engagment under my belt, and it impressed my managers :-) I'd call it time well spent :-) 

Incidentally, one of the guys who worked on the EICAR test file was at the presentation. He even enjoyed it!

Believe it or not, that presentation was on the NATO internal network for more than a decade.

Your words: 30 minute presentation about a harmless 68-byte file Smiley Wink

EPA.giforiginal (6).png   

Webroot Employee

Not to say that this isn't the most awesome article about EICAR ever writen... OK, it isn't :-)

This is the most interesting thin I have ever seen written about the eicar test file. A disection and analysis of the binary. Yeah, eicar.com is not a text file. I'm gonna print it, frame it, and mount it on somebody else's Facebook wall :-)  Seriouly good read though.

https://blog.nintechnet.com/anatomy-of-the-eicar-antivirus-test-file/

Bronze VIP

It's nothing like that I'm just teasing you! Smiley Wink

EPA.giforiginal (6).png   

Webroot Employee

@TripleHelix wrote:

It's nothing like that I'm just teasing you! Smiley Wink

I know, and I love it!!!