Firefox Bookmarks - Cool Add-on for Find Folder, or Show Folder of Bookmark you Search For

• 8 December 2018
  • 19 replies

Just discovered a couple of days ago a brilliant FF Add-on. When wanting to find what folder a bookmark is in, sometimes (for me) the FF blue star in the navigation pane doesn't work and even when it does it is still a bit of a PITA to locate the folder. This add-on solves that problem. When you search for a bookmark it instantly shows the folder path and you can even search for a bookmark folder (and see where it is in your bookmark folder tree) as well. Cool!

Also the developer is VERY responsive. I suggested an improvement this morning and, lo and behold, a couple of hours later he says it's already done and will be in the next version, which will be released by tomorrow evening at the very latest!!!

To say I am impressed is to put it mildly 😃.

My tip of the week: if you use FF as your main browser and you have a lot of bookmarks that you regularly use and search for, try this add-on (that is, if you don't know about it already).

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Just discovered a couple of days ago a brilliant FF Add-on. When wanting to find what folder a bookmark is in, sometimes (for me) the FF blue star in the navigation pane doesn't work and even when it does it is still a bit of a PITA to locate the folder. This add-on solves that problem. When you search for a bookmark it instantly shows the folder path and you can even search for a bookmark folder (and see where it is in your bookmark folder tree) as well. Cool!

Also the developer is VERY responsive. I suggested an improvement this morning and, lo and behold, a couple of hours later he says it's already done and will be in the next version, which will be released by tomorrow evening at the very latest!!!

To say I am impressed is to put it mildly 😃.

My tip of the week: if you use FF as your main browser and you have a lot of bookmarks that you regularly use and search for, try this add-on (that is, if you don't know about it already).
Thanks Muddy, 

I do have tons of bookmarks that I regularly use so I'll give that add on a go! :) 
You won't regret it, Sherry 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Great! I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I get on my computer some time today  I'm a Android user in the mornings. ;) 
When you install the add-on, bear in mind that favicon fetching "does not start immediately on first install in order to let FF stabilize first" (developer). However within 24 hours (or maybe well before) they should all or almost all be there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
When you install the add-on, bear in mind that favicon fetching "does not start immediately on first install in order to let FF stabilize first" (developer). However within 24 hours (or maybe well before) they should all or almost all be there.
Thanks Muddy! 
Userlevel 7
Pity it is only for FF...which currently sucks as a browser compared to the rest. Perhaps the developer will port the functionality to other browsers. :@
I guess the first port would be Chrome, as it has nearly the same API than FF .. but I am not there yet, still polishing and increasing functionalities towards something more mature for now .. so it will be some time before I do a port I am afraid :cattongue:
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello @,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

I am excited to say I have just  installed your Bookmarked Search Add-on v2.0.44. Looking forward to the next updated version that @ has mentioned. ;)

Thank you!
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I will give it a go, thank you @
Userlevel 7
Thanks, aaFn

Will keep a look out for a Chromium version, as and when.

Regards, Baldrick
Personally, the reason I use Firefox is that, as lean and agile as Chrome is, its bookmarks GUI frankly sucks. At least for those like me that have thousands of them (±6,500 lol !!). Quite simply impossible to manage given the way Chrome displays them. And I've so far never found an add-on for Chrome that adequately addresses this shortcoming.

However...if someday, @, you get round to producing a Chrome version of your Bookmark Search Plus 2, well...that would certainly be most interesting 😉
We'll see .. for now 2.0.45 is out
@ wrote:
We'll see .. for now 2.0.45 is out
...just 10 hours after I made the feature request 😃
Just a useful hint in order to properly appreciate this extension...

The developer does not necessarily always follow the same mouse and pointer protocols as Firefox (or even as other browsers) and is not afraid whenever necessary to "march to the beat of a different drum". Having begun to understand his way of doing things, I actually find his ways more logical and more elegant than Firefox and, perhaps, those of most other browser bookmark sidebars. But I did find them quite difficult to understand at first, and found myself groping towards a better understanding, particularly through my communications with him in the GitHub thread where I introduced my Feature Request. If it helps anyone to better understand his particular mouse and pointer protocols, you may find it useful to read my fumbling questions and his (patient) answers from post #9 of that thread onwards ("2.0.45 is out ... let me know if this is working ok or if something is wrong").

Hope that helps!

I am really liking more and more his FF bookmarks sidebar extension, and discover myself using this version more and more and the native version less and less.
@
How are you finding Bookmarks Search Plus, Sherry?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@
How are you finding Bookmarks Search Plus, Sherry?
Hi Muddy7,

I need to reorganize my Folders and I haven't had much time doing that. I need to delete old links etc, etc,. I am not very organized but I can see that this program will help me to do that better. I really like the Program and I just need to get going and to make more Folders for ALL my links.:@

Thanks for asking!:D
Yeah, lack of organisation is one of my main foes too 😠
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Yeah, lack of organisation is one of my main foes too :@
Now ..now Muddy, I have a hard time believeing that you are not organized. 😃
Well, believe what you wish. I know what is true. (I am selectively organised and disorganised :D)