Yahoo/Verizon becomes...

• 19 April 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17
This news just arrived in my inbox with a request to agree to new terms of service:
"In June 2017, Yahoo and AOL joined forces to create Oath, a media and technology company with a dynamic house of global brands, and a part of Verizon."
I did not know that.

If I agree to the terms of service, is that like taking an oath?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Yea I got the same as my ISP uses Yahoo mail. :S
Userlevel 6
Badge +17
Daniel-- Did some research on Oath and came up with this story: https://www.cnet.com/news/yahoo-aol-oath-privacy-policy-verizon-emails-messages/
Plus my legacy cheapo subscription to Yahoo ad-less email is coming to an end, and I don't want to give up my throw-away email alias addresses. But, I don't necessarily think the premium product is worth the money. Then again, many of my online commerce accounts will go away if I have to change my email address. So, Yahoo reading my boring email is nothing. --Rick
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
I got this from my ISP here in Canada!

Yahoo!/Oath has updated their Terms of Service & Privacy Policy
Dear Daniel, 

We take our job of protecting your personal data and privacy very seriously at Rogers. We know your privacy is important as you connect more and more through social media, email or apps.

Recently, Yahoo!/Oath updated its Terms of Service & Privacy Policy to be more transparent and clear about its email services. Rogers email is powered by Yahoo! so you may have seen pop-up messages asking you to accept the updated terms. Yahoo! recently became part of 'Oath', a media and technology company that includes brands such as Yahoo, AOL, TechCrunch and HuffPost. 

Over the past week, some of you have asked questions about the updated terms and what they mean for you. One of the terms that some customers asked about was the use of "personal data of friends and contacts", or section 14(5)(f) of the Terms of Service. You wanted to know how Yahoo!/Oath would use or share this information and why it was necessary. To address any concern or confusion, Yahoo!/Oath has now removed this section entirely from their Terms of Service. 

We encourage you to review the updated Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and adjust your settings to make sure they're right for you. You can find answers to some of your most common questions below and on our website.

We sincerely appreciate your business and thank you for being a Rogers customer. 

David Watt
Chief Privacy Officer, Rogers Communications 

(1) What is section 14(5)(f) that Yahoo!/Oath removed from their Canadian Terms of Service? 

Section 14(5)(f), now removed, originally stated the following: "Personal Data of Friends and Contacts. By using the Services you agree that you have obtained the consent of your friends and contacts to provide their personal information (for example: their email address or telephone number) to Oath or a third party, as applicable, and that Oath or a third party may use your name to send messages on your behalf to make the Services available to your friends and contacts. The Services are not to be used for any form of spam." 

(2) Are Yahoo!/Oath's updated Terms of Service specific to Rogers customers? 

No, these are global terms for all Yahoo!/Oath users (hundreds of millions worldwide) that includes some sections specific to the countries they operate in, including Canada. 

(3) How can I change my Yahoo! email settings? 

There are a number of ways you can customize your email experience: 
          i. You can opt-out of Yahoo's interest-based advertising through their Ad Interest Manager
          ii. You can unsubscribe from Yahoo's marketing messages or newsletters through their Marketing Preferences page. 
          iii. You can view your Yahoo search history and clear it, or block further search customization through the Yahoo! Search page.
          iv. You can edit your email account information and contact information through the Rogers Member Centre

(4) Is my personal information shared with other companies, like advertisers?

No, your personal identifying information is personal for a reason. It is not shared with third parties. 

(5) How can I share additional feedback or concerns with Rogers or Yahoo!/Oath? 

(a) You can contact our Rogers Privacy Office by email here or in writing to Chief Privacy Officer, Rogers Group of Companies, 333 Bloor St. E., Toronto, ON, M4W 1G9 
(b) For any additional questions or concerns, you can contact Yahoo!/Oath: 

1. Log in to webmail 
2. Select the Gear icon 
3. Choose Privacy 
4. Select Privacy Policy of Yahoo!/Oath 
5. Click on Feedback or visit submitting a feedback form
Userlevel 6
Badge +17
Daniel,
Thanks for sending that along! Rogers, Canada was on top of that one! I wonder when Oath/Yahoo will be as forthright with its direct customers, especially since most of us already agreed to the previous terms with the naughty bits included.
Best,
Rick