Computer locked, please help

• 25 October 2016
  • 10 replies

My kid changed the login password of my family computer and he didn't remember it now. I searched online and tried Kon-boot, but i got a blue screen death once booting from USB.

Does anyone know how to reset the password? I indeed get windows installation disk at home but i don't want to lost data on the computer. thanks

10 replies

Hi kofbaow,

Welcome to the Webroot Community.

If you Google the phrase "don't have password reset disk" you will find a number of options for achieving this, including a way using your installation disk without losing data. (5th result down)

Hope this info helps,

BD
I did that before posting in here. The problem is that i tried two and failed. There are many suggestions on this and i can't decide which one is good.
If you've tried guessing, there are no other users on your computer, the last trick didn't work for some reason, and you are sure you don't have a Windows password reset disk lying around, then it's time to try something a bit more complicated.

ISeePassword Windows password recovery programs are software tools designed to recover or reset  Windows 10 login password. They can sometimes be difficult to use but if you truly have forgotten your Windows password and you can also follow some simple directions, there's an excellent chance will get you back into Windows.
Userlevel 7
Hi Ibimous

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I would have to agree that other than a wipe & clean reinstall of your machine the only other option would be to try some password recovery software, of which there are many and also a number of reviews/comparisons if you Google a suitable search phrase such as "How best to recover Windows password".

But if you have a Microsoft account then before you do that Google the following "How best to recover Windows 10 password" (am assuming that yo are running WIndows 10?) and take a look at the top results as they may offer an alternatiev approach.

Do let us know how you get on.

Regards, Baldrick
Thanks. it is not a microsoft account. I created a local account for login
Hi kofbaow,

In my experience, problems with password recovery/reset tools lie in creating the USB. If this PC has a CD/DVD drive I would try going that route. Have you seen this tool?

Hope you get this resolved,

BD
@ wrote:
Hi kofbaow,

In my experience, problems with password recovery/reset tools lie in creating the USB. If this PC has a CD/DVD drive I would try going that route. Have you seen this tool?

BD
You should be careful. You should disable UEFI and secure boot when booting from external USB or DVD
It is very simple to use command prompt to unlock windows password if you had a Windows OS bootable disk at hand. it is a bit tricky but it works and it is free.
@ wrote:
Hi kofbaow,

BD
Come across this thread in Bing and the program you suggested worked perfectly on my Windows 10 PC. Thanks for this great anwser.
Badge +1
Didn't you reset disk? Ok, even if you don't have a disk, you can unlock it as well. Security Questions, other login accounts using Windows 10, and security mode are simple and effective methods of operation. Among them, when I successfully reset Windows 10 without the disk, the method used is safe mode. This is an easy method, only 4-5 steps.
Step 1. On the Windows login screen, click the “Power” button > “Restart” and hold down the Shift key.
Step 2. In the blue screen that appears, choose Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Launch Settings.
Step 3. Click “Restart” in the lower right corner, then press F4 / F5 / F6 to enter Windows 10 safe mode.
Step 4. Select "Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt" to go to the CMD window > type command: Net User to change the password.