Duplicate File Finders ?

• 3 January 2017
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Are they safe and how do you choose which file to delete...first file..second file..or none ?  Why do we accumulate duplicates ?

5 replies

Hi BlazeTen,

How's it going?

I use the duplicate finder in CCleaner (CCleaner/Tools/Duplicate Finder).

It's as safe as you are. After finding duplicates (you set matching parameters like file size/file name) it gives you the option of which file to delete, or you can choose to keep both (you can also right-click on file to navigate to file location). A confirmation dialog is also presented. Be careful though, deleted files DO NOT go to Recycle Bin.

Works very well.

We get duplicates many ways. Often this tool will find duplicates, like a.png file, in different language packs, the same pic in each language pack. Other times it's from uploading you pics or music more than once to different locations.

Hope this helps,
BD
I am using Duplicate Files Deleter, it's fantastic and fast, I recommend it to anyone.
You should definitely use DuplicateFilesDeleter. I highly recommend it to anyone
Userlevel 7
Hi Marino

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Thanks for your input. Whiost I agree in principle I have to caveat that and issue a warning about the dangers of using such functionality when one does not know what one is doing; key question here is knowing when a duplicate is safe to remove as some duplicates are in place for a good reason...not many but some are and the consequences of delating them can be catastrophic.

Duplicate File Finders should only be used to delete files if one is sure that such action will not cause issues...and as always a System Restore Point should be created prior to use, as a minimum...better still an image should be taken...just in case.

Regards, Baldrick
I use this software and I recommend you for this issue DuplicateFilesDelete, Please try.