Google Stops Scanning Gmail Content for Ad Targeting

• 26 June 2017
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
By Ionut Arghire on June 26, 2017 Google on Friday announced plans to stop scanning the content of consumer Gmail addresses for personalizing the ads it serves to users.

Previously, the Internet giant would scan each and every email message received in consumer Gmail addresses, which allowed it to better determine what relevant ads to serve to its users. The only email accounts excluded from this practice were the Google Apps for Education and G Suite accounts.

Now, Google has decided to bring all accounts on the same page, and Diane Greene SVP, Google Cloud, announced in a blog post on Friday that consumer accounts will be aligned with the G Suite ones.

Full Article.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Nice one, Google...another victory for the miscreants. Is there anyone working for this company that has an ounce of common sense...I think NOT! :@
@ wrote:
Nice one, Google...another victory for the miscreants. Is there anyone working for this company that has an ounce of common sense...I think NOT! :@
So you're OK with an email provider reading your email? To me that's like your mailman opening your mail and reading it before it's delivered to you. Not cool.

Don't get me wrong. I'm pretty sure that Google still has other ways of invading one's privacy. :@

BD
Userlevel 7
BD...one has to trust someone. Most ISP scan email for spam and malware anyway...which is a good thing...so personally I have no issue with such scanning. If I have something really private to send I put in a document, encrypt that document & then send it. ;)
Badge +8
Hi Baldrick,

That is really good advice. I will keep it in mind when I need to attach a file to an email. Never thought of doing that. Many thanks.
T
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi Baldrick,

That is really good advice. I will keep it in mind when I need to attach a file to an email. Never thought of doing that. Many thanks.
T
And then don't forget to get the password for decryption over to the addressee by some other means...like a text message if you can connect that way...or have a predetermined password, that you have informed them of previously, for any such encrypted file that you might send to a specific user.

At worst a separate email to them with just the password in it...and no indication of what it relates to. Again, you could have agreed this approach with them before hand especailly if you send such informastyion to them on a regular basis.

Sounds laborious & complicated but once set up it works like a treat! ;)

Baldrick
Badge +8
No, it sounds quite simple actually. And quite brilliant if I may add. I never thought of doing that. Could be that I don't have much "classified" or "sensitive" documents to mail. My Doctor's office even has a portal for patients where you can review all lab work, visit info and all sorts of exciting things that would do serious harm in the wrong hands. Oh, what a tangled web we weave.

As I think about it, there are instances in which a document in the wrong hands could very well be problematic. The next time that I am emailing anything of a personal nature, I will encrypt it. I think it should fly rather effortlessly. Thanks so much for the idea. Now it's getting the recipient to play along. :D

We're at the height of a nasty thunderstorm and all of my pets are freaking out. I better go and tend to them.

Theresa