Learning PowerShell: The basics

• 11 July 2017
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
July 11, 2017 by Pieter Arntz

I bet I went about learning PowerShell the wrong way, so I may need your help, readers of this blog. If only to organize my knowledge and use it for the fight against malware and not just to figure out how it was used in malware.

The first serious look I had at PowerShell was when I was trying to figure out what some piece of malware was doing. But the most important lessons I learned back then was that PowerShell is very versatile and that its execution policy is hardly stopping anyone from performing malicious acts on an infected computer.

Both of these properties make it a powerful weapon in the hands of hackers, pen testers, and malware authors. Given the current tendency to use legitimate tools and programs in an attack, I want to learn more about it and see how we can use it to our advantage. Sort of as white hat hackers would.

Full Article.

1 reply

Userlevel 4
I have found powershell as a great tool for use in a domain connected Windows environment. It is integrated into many scripts on my RMM software that I have schedule to run regular maintenance or available to run as needed for quick fixes. Like most good things, there will be people who find ways to use them maliciously. What a waste of talent!