Microsoft pays out $10,000 for forcing Windows 10 on California woman

• 27 June 2016
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
27th June 2016  By Mark Wilson

The owner of a California-based travel agency has received a $10,000 settlement from Microsoft after a forced Windows 10 upgrade rendered her computer unusable. Teri Goldstein found that her work computer downloaded and started to install Windows 10 without her permission, but the installation failed.
 The installation not only failed, Goldstein says, but also slowed down her computer, leading to days of lost business. After failing to get help from Microsoft's customer support, she took the company to court.

Full Article

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Nice to hear of the little people winning at the expense of the big people...it is only fair in these circumstances. :D
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Jasper - I bet a lot more people will follow in her foot steps.

Always,
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
By Wayne Williams     

The software giant has already paid out $10,000 for forcing Windows 10 onto a Californian woman and wrecking her work computer, but that could well just be the start of it.
According to the Rockland Country Times, New York Attorney-General Eric Schneiderman is actively pursuing cases of Microsoft customers who have suffered in some way as a result of being forced or deceived into accepting a Windows 10 upgrade.
And Attorney-Generals in other states are reportedly also beginning to actively pursue cases against Microsoft for this same reason.            

http://betanews.com/2016/07/11/windows-10-lawsuits/
Userlevel 7
I would say that the Attorney General has far more important things to pursue at present rather than focussing on Microsoft...but then again the Establishment does love a good 'witch hunt'. ;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
I would say that the Attorney General has far more important things to pursue at present rather than focussing on Microsoft...but then again the Establishment does love a good 'witch hunt'. ;)
Very well put Baldrick.