The Great Google News Catastrophe of 2017 — and how to get back to good old Classic Google News

Is anyone else as n*ff*d off as me about the disastrous new Google News format for desktops and laptops??

If so, here's how to successfully get Classic Google News format back:

1. Download extension User-Agent Switch - add to Chrome or Citrio2. Right Click the Icon and Go to Options3. Click Permanent Spoof List and add news.google.com or dot whatever4. Set User-Agent String to Windows Phone> Windows Phone 8 And that's it!! (Acknowledgements to maru487's post here: https://productforums.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!msg/news/g18hnTP75c0/fhcq_lKTAwAJ )

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Thanks for sharing, @ :manhappy:

And here's how to revert to the Classic Google News format, using Firefox:

1.) Install the UAControl Add on
2.) Visit your google news edition
3.) Click on the newly installed UAControl Icon in the Toolbar ant choose "UAControl Options for this site"
4.) Choose Custom and insert this string "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows Phone 8.0; Trident/6.0; IEMobile/10.0; ARM; Touch; HUAWEI; W1-U00)" (without the quotation marks)

Acknowledgements to Bousoulas and his offering here.
Userlevel 7
I have an even better way...don't use Google News.

Tried it...it is rubbish...so won't use it. Job done/Problem sorted. ;)
The above Windows Phone 8.0 option has as from today been closed down by Google. For those who prefer the classic Google News format, the best (as far as I know) option is now www.theoldgnews.com .