Why you shouldn't buy the Amazon Fire phone

• 21 June 2014
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
By Mike ElganJune 21, 2014 07:00 AM ET Computerworld - Amazon launched a new smartphone this week. It's called the Amazon Fire phone, and it sports some unique hardware, software and services.
The public has zeroed in on some of the "wow!" features, including a 3D-like interface and the ability to recognize everything from famous works of art to TV shows to random products.
http://www.computerworld.com/common/images/site/features/2014/06/FirePhone_Firefly_375.jpgWith the Firefly technology, the Amazon's Fire phone can collect your data from the phone's camera or microphone. (Photo: Amazon)The pundits have detailed the utility of these very features to Amazon for the purpose of "showrooming" -- encountering media and products in the real world, using the Fire phone's sensors to recognize them, then using the convenient "buy" button to get those products from Amazon.

ComputerWorld/ full read here/ http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9249269/Why_you_shouldn_t_buy_the_Amazon_Fire_phone

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Not to mention all that would drain your battery dry in no time and it only has a 2400mAh battery!
Userlevel 7

Additional Quote:
" -- it's the most effective device ever sold for harvesting the personal data from its owner. Let's break this down. "

HM... yes.. let me think about this.  It runs on Android (Google, one of the biggest data mining companies) you can use Facebook (Another data giant) and it is designed to REALLY track your purchasing and window shopping habits so that Amaxon that already has enough info about you to fill a terabyte or so can get more.

Yes.... I would LOVE to not have one 🙂
Userlevel 7
@DavidP1970 wrote:

Additional Quote:
" -- it's the most effective device ever sold for harvesting the personal data from its owner. Let's break this down. "

HM... yes.. let me think about this.  It runs on Android (Google, one of the biggest data mining companies) you can use Facebook (Another data giant) and it is designed to REALLY track your purchasing and window shopping habits so that Amaxon that already has enough info about you to fill a terabyte or so can get more.

Yes.... I would LOVE to not have one :)

And I was just at Best Buy the other day perusing through various phones and plans, etc.

Maybe I'll just keep my BlackBerry...