Recipe: Apple Cinnamon Pork Loin

• 14 December 2018
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
  • Webroot Employee
  • 6 replies
This past weekend, I decided to visit the Denver Christkindl Market to soak up some holiday cheer. If you’ve never been to a traditional German-style Christmas market, I highly recommend it. The lights, scents, sounds, and nifty/crafty/kitschy trinkets for sale are well worth a little time outside on a chilly day, even if you neither celebrate, nor even enjoy Christmas. Besides, it’s an extra bonus to giggle with friends and family at the corny oom-pah-ing tubas while sipping on a steaming cup of mulled wine or hot apple cider.

Anyway, the mulling spices and apple cider got me thinking about the specific scents and flavors I associate with certain holidays. And this, itself, made me want to try some kind of roast that incorporated the spices that remind me that the time for the annual gift exchange is nearing (let’s face it: it’s probably going to be last-minute gift cards. My gifting game is weak this year.)

But here’s my gift to you dear readers: a super-easy, super-delicious crockpot recipe that will have your house smelling AHHH-MAZING this season.

Picture credit goes to Wicked Spatula. Recipe modified by me.

Apple Cinnamon Pork Loin Recipe

Serves 4
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 6 hours

Ingredients
  • 2 lb. boneless pork loin roast Note: If you do not like—or do not eat—pork, this recipe works equally well with chicken. I recommend a mix of chicken breast and thighs, and adding a little extra cooking fat to keep it from drying out.
  • 3 medium apples, peeled and sliced
  • ¼ cup honey (optional)
  • 1 red onion, halved and sliced
  • 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • Cooking fat (oil, butter, ghee, lard, duck fat, your preference!)
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
The Nitty-Gritty
  1. Season the pork to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
  2. Melt some cooking fat in a large skillet placed over a high heat and brown the roast on all sides.
  3. Using a sharp knife, cut 3-inch deep slits into the pork loin.
  4. Insert apple slices into each pork slit.
  5. Place half of the remaining apples in the bottom of a slow cooker.
  6. Place the roast over the apples.
  7. Drizzle the honey on top of the roast, if using, then add the onion and remaining apples.
  8. Add the chicken stock and sprinkle everything with cinnamon.
  9. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Garnish with a little parsley if you’re feeling fancy and serve alongside any of your favorite side dishes. Pretty much any variation on potatoes, roasted vegetables, salads, rice, bread, noodles, etc. will work. I’m a big fan of doing a big mixed veggie roast that includes things like carrots, squash, parsnips, rutabaga, beets, and Brussels sprouts, but just about anything you’ve got lying around will work.

And with that, good tidings, merry all-the-things, and a happy new year to you and yours!

3 replies

Badge
Sounds wonderful!

Since the Spring of 2014 I've been living in central Germany, having moved here from the U.S. to help with the care of elderly in-laws. With this being the land of pork I'm always looking for new recipes to keep boredom from setting in.

Besides the availability of really nice pork loin from my local butcher shop, I'm also surrounded by apple orchards and walnut trees, which are two of the other members of the German food Hit Parade. To sweeten the deal, when I do the recipe I'll throw in some of the gorgeous sweet potatoes harvested from the family garden late last fall.

Finally, being Bama born and bred this ol' boy can't wait until this (always) dreary winter weather breaks and I can also try roasting this whole thing on my grill...over apple wood.

Thanks,
And Keep It Comin'
Userlevel 6
Badge +17
Yum. My spouse made this a few days ago. Leftovers tonight. Thanks for the recipe!
Badge +2
I will try me best,to vantage me offering to me tummy.