Recipe: Frozen Margarita Pie

• 24 August 2018
  • 0 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
  • Webroot Employee
  • 6 replies
Howdy, readers, long time no see! I noticed it’s also been a while since I posted something to indulge a person’s sweet tooth, so I figured it was high time to share one of my new favorite summer recipes: frozen margarita pie. Honestly, a great cocktail in pie form? What’s not to like?

Picture credit goes to Bon Appétit. Recipe modified by me.

Notes:
  • This pie will need to freeze for at least 8 hours, so plan ahead!
  • You can use a store-bought graham cracker crust, but the method below will yield a more delicious result.
Ingredients
  • 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter
  • 10 graham crackers
  • 3 Tbsp. sugar
  • ½ tsp. kosher salt. divided
  • ¾ cup chilled heavy cream
  • 5 limes, divided
  • 1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
  • (Optional) 3 Tbsp. tequila blanco
The Nitty-Gritty

1. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, then allow to cool slightly.
  2. Crumble the graham crackers into your food processor. Add 3 Tbsp. sugar, ¼ tsp. salt, and melted butter to bowl and process until mixture resembles wet sand.
  3. Make your pie crust by arranging the graham cracker mixture in a shallow 9" pie pan. Using a measuring cup, press firmly into bottom and up sides of dish. Freeze 20 minutes.
  4. Meanwhile, whisk the heavy cream in a medium bowl until it starts to thicken to the point you can see ripples and peaks begin to form, about 3-5 minutes.
  5. Cut 4 of the limes in half and juice into a fine-mesh sieve set over a glass measuring cup (you should have about ½ cup juice). Pour lime juice into another medium bowl and whisk in condensed milk, tequila, and remaining ¼ tsp. salt until smooth.
  6. Fold half of whipped cream into lime juice mixture, carefully folding under and over while you turn the bowl. Add remaining whipped cream and continue to fold until no streaks remain.
  7. Remove pie pan from freezer and pour the filling into it. Using the back of a spoon or spatula, gently spread the filling to edge of the crust.
  8. Zest half of the fifth lime over pie using a fine grater or microplane.
  9. Freeze pie at least 8 hours, or preferably overnight.

This is, hands-down, the only thing I want to eat on hot days lately. (Who am I kidding? Hot Days? Most days.) Enjoy!

0 replies

Be the first to reply!