Repair an infected PC that won't boot

• 12 February 2014
  • 4 replies

Does Webroot have tools like a bootable CD or USB drive that I can use to clean/repair a machine that will not boot due to an infection?  We had a system yesterday that was infected:  

Infection List:
19962_UPDATER.EXE, W32.Trojan.Gen, %temp%, 494D770A052D8244C24CB77990F02D80

...and the system was frozen.  When power cycled, would not boot into system repair, or normal boot.  We ended up having to restore the system from an earlier backup.

I know that other vendor's products have a way to boot the system into another mode, load the AV product to scan/repair infections and then reboot normally.  Does Webroot?

Thanks.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
We don't have one that we give out, but you can contact support and they'll help you remove infections on machines that won't boot.  They will use a bootable image if need be, but they only use that in the course of the fix rather than giving it out.
Okay - we'll give that a shot if it happens again.

Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Sure thing!  Welcome to the community, btw, and please let us know if we can help with anything else.
I've got a pc with Webroot Security essentials that is infected and won't boot.  The "trojan" is:  W32.trojan.floxif.  How can I fix the PC when it can't boot?  It's keep asking to repair and runs for hours and hours with no result...how can I manually delete this virus?