Solved

Some tech questions - rather important

• 20 February 2014
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi Guys

In "ask the expert" section I cannot get any answer so I wil try here because it is rather important to me:

1. What application ports can be open to communicate the Webroot successfully with the cloud? 80 and something else?

2. What will happen - when during the scan Webroot lose access to the internet? Does the scan will be interrupted?

3. Just to be sure - Is it possible to manage the blocked processes and connections from the administrator console?

4. Is the workstation or server that useing unmanaged politics remember determination files identified as good or bad from the console? If yes, what is the pool interval time to get such command? I know that we can not edit it

5. How the effectiveness of Webroot looks like for example in macros of MS Office files?
What is the method of checking such files and verify that they are not harmful to client computer?
icon

Best answer by jgouverneur 20 February 2014, 12:10

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
The answers that I know.

2. Scan will continue to run even though you don't have internet access. Scan will even start without internet connectivity. Behaviour will still be analyzed and bad files will still be marked as such. When connectivity is restored the information is exchanged between the local system and WIN (Webroot Intelligence Network). If the machine is "offline" you'll be protected by a small local database of known threats and the monitoring/journaling.

3. You can see what processes (or rather the files themselves) that are blocked. The connections are not listed as that is handled by the firewall and not by WSA.

4. Unmanaged policy just means that the policy can be set locally, the system will still exchange information with the console and will acquire information on machines that you listed as good or bad. This is a continious proces.

5. The method for checking files is behaviour in all cases. "Unknown" applications are starting in a "sandbox" where WSA can analyze the behaviour. This is verified in the WIN. Don't know how macros in MS Office are handled as obviously one of the Office applications is what is executing it, rather then the file itself.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Sorry for the delay - I replied to your other post in the Ask The Experts section, so hopefully that helps.  Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions!